This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Figure skating in the Winter Olympics has a certain magical quality that no one can deny. It’s one of the most popular events in the Olympic Games as a whole due to its elegance, athleticism, and oftentimes large personalities. Here, I bring to you the 5 most iconic figure skating moments from the 2018 Olympic Games.

1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir captured hearts everywhere.

After winning their 3rd Olympic Gold Medal as a team, Canadian Ice Dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir wowed audiences with their unbelievable chemistry. The world collectively melt when it was revealed this was their 20th year skating together, having coupled up when they were 7 and 9. Social media everywhere exploded with tweets and posts wondering if the on-ice couple had an off-ice romance. Much to the public’s dismay, the two skaters explained their relationship is strictly platonic. However, most people still have their doubts after seeing the passionate performance. Virtue and Moir are now the most decorated figure skaters in Olympic History and they definitely left a lasting impression on a worldwide audience.

2. Adam Rippon became America’s sweetheart.

Many records were broken at the Olympics this year, so there was certainly no shortage of showstopping moments. Male figure skater Adam Rippon made history by being himself: he is the first openly gay U.S. figure skater to compete at the Olympics. America quickly fell in love with Adam as his large personality shone brightly at the Games. His interviews, both pre and post-skate, were filled with sassy remarks, and his style and performances exuded elegance and finesse. He became so popular that NBC even offered him a job as a correspondent after he competed. Now the most followed figure skater on Instagram, Adam is surely not going anywhere.

3. Mirai Nagasu landed a triple axel.

After a fourth place finish at the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games and narrowly missing out on being selected for the 2014 Games in Sochi, Mirai Nagasu was ready for her moment this year in Pyeongchang. Going into the Games, Mirai planned to complete a triple axel in her short program and free skate. That jump was, technically, the hardest jump planned for any figure skater in the ladies event. The media put a lot of pressure on her as the underdog with a secret weapon and in the short program of the team event, she landed a beautiful clean triple axel, making her the first female American figure skater to land a triple axel at the Olympics

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4

julia tasiopoulos

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst 2020
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst