This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“College” and “I’m so broke I don’t know whether $.89 ramen is too pricey or not” are basically synonymous, at least to students. Unfortunately, not all beauty product creators understand this struggle so it’s hard to find items that work well and won’t break the bank. Luckily, I’ve tracked down some of the best beauty products that truly give you a bang for your buck. Here are 15 of my holy grail personal care items all for under $15. 

1. L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Collection Exclusive Lipsticks 

These lipsticks are only about $6.00 but are absolutely beautiful. There’s a wide range of colors so no matter your skin tone, you’ll find one that’s complementary. These lipsticks go on smooth, creamy, and pigmented. You’d think they cost more from the way it applies and how long it lasts. If you’re in need of some new lipsticks, definitely check these out!  

2. Maybelline FIT ME! Foundation 

This foundation has gotten my face through some pretty tough times. For only $6.00 this liquid foundation is medium coverage and gives you a nice everyday look without being cakey. The best part about these foundations is there is one version to mattify and reduce the appearance of pores and a second version that offers you a glowy and dewy look. This foundation can be built up if you want full, full coverage but even just a regular layer makes your skin look even and fresh. 

3. ColourPop Liquid Lipsticks and Lip Glosses 

This was a newer find for me but thank God I did. ColourPop needs to be bought online but the prices can’t be beat for the quality of product you receive. The liquid lipsticks are super rich and only needs to be reapplied once or twice throughout the entire night, if that. The glosses don’t last quite as long but the colors are gorgeous and give your lips a luscious shine that make them look camera-ready. The price ranges from $5-$6 so it’s a real steal, especially since there’s constantly sales going on. 

4. NYX Micro Brow Pencil 

This brow pencil is $10 and gives you a perfectly sculpted brow every time. The pencil is–you guessed it–micro thin so it can replicate tiny brow hairs and look super natural. I personally hated doing my eyebrows because I could never get them to look quite right but this pencil saved me on time and frustration because of how easy it is to use. If you suck at doing your brows like me, this product is a must in your makeup collection.  

5. NYX Professional Makeup Auto Eyebrow Pencil 

If the eyebrow pencil I mentioned above is a little too expensive then this NYX pencil is just as good. This item is only $5 but it’s a little more difficult to use because the pencil is a bit wider than the one previously mentioned but once you get the hang of it, your brows look full and great! 

6. ColourPop Super Shock Highlighter 

Ok, guys, this is probably the biggest game changer I’ve come across in the makeup world and the best news is it’s only $8. This highlighter is blinding in the best way possible. The texture is creamy but goes on dry and flawless. My personal favorite is in the shade Flexitarian, click on the link in the title and find your new favorite shade! 

7. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Mega Plush Mascara 

This mascara is an oldie but a goodie. It’s $6 but the quality is great. The formula isn’t clumpy and doesn’t transfer easily which means you don’t have to worry about looking like a raccoon by the end of the day. I’ve used tons of different mascaras but I’ve always come back to this one. 

8. Lamora Makeup Blender 

We’ve all heard of the classic Beauty Blender that costs $20 but no one really wants to spend that kind of money on a sponge, including me. That’s why I scoured Amazon.com to find a perfectly good dupe. I’ve gone through a few sponges but the Lamora makeup blender is by far my favorite and it’s only $8. It blends out your foundation to give you a beautiful airbrushed look. 

9. St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub 

Moving on from makeup products, this scrub is great at controlling acne and also brightening up your face. It has small bursting beads that leave your face feeling soft and smooth. It smells great and works well for sensitive skin. (Beware if you have sensitive skin, this product might be best used on non-facial skin for exfoliation.) Find it at your local drugstore for only $4. 

10. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream  

Washing your face can leave your skin feeling a little dry and flaky but this moisturizer leaves your skin feeling super soft. It’s the perfect moisturizer to use before applying makeup if you don’t want your face to have dry patches showing through your foundation. This lotion comes in a huge tub for only $13 and it can be used on other parts your body too so it’s a great deal.

11. Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream   

Whether you’re into doing your nails or not, there’s one thing we can all agree on: hangnails suck. This cuticle cream keeps your fingers from those pesky, painful little tabs of skin. For $6 your skin will stay hydrated and hangnail-free. It’s the perfect product to add to your manicure routine or just use it every now and then before you go to bed so it has time to soak into your fingers and keep them happy. 

12. Redken Outshine 01 Anti-Frizz Polishing Milk 

My roommate has sworn by this hair serum. It keeps your hair shiny, luscious, and frizz-free. Just take a small amount after you’ve showered and run it through your hair while it’s still wet. 

13. Garnier Fructis Straightening Mist 

If you plan on using any sort of heat on your hair, this heat protectant needs to be in your hair styling routine. It doesn’t leave your hair feeling stiff or sticky, only soft and shiny. This product is geared towards flat iron protection but I’ve used it when curling my hair and it works just as well. Bonus, it smells fantastic and it’s less than $4. 

14. Essie Grow Stronger Base Coat 

Here’s another product I’ve been using for years because it’s never done me wrong. This $9 Essie base coat gives you the smoothest base possible before you put any polish on. It dries quickly and keeps your manicure lasting for days longer than without it (I know from experience, trust me). 

15. Essie Good to Go Top Coat 

The sister to the Essie base coat I mentioned above is this incredible top coat. After you’ve finished putting on your polish, this top coat gives you a beautiful shine that dries in a matter of seconds. It’s the best finishing touch you’ll find for your manicure for $8. 

These products may not be from MAC or Sephora but that doesn’t mean they don’t work just as well. High-end products are great, but drugstores have a lot to offer to if you look hard enough. These were 15 beauty products that worked great for me but hey, better try them out yourself to know for sure! 

Picture Sources: 1 All other images courtesy of author. 

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst