This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It seems hard to believe that Christmas is right around the corner. But the fall semester is coming to a close and the holiday break will soon be upon us. The only thing separating you from Christmas is finals. Trying to balance essays and exams and get in the Christmas spirit can seem like a daunting task. Here are the ten best ways to jump into the Christmas season.

1. Christmas cookies

I don’t know about you, but the smell of fresh-baked Christmas cookies almost always gets me in the holiday spirit. Baking cookies (complete with Christmas-themed cookie cutters and red and green sprinkles) is always a great way to feel the Christmas cheer. If that seems like too much effort, the miniature printed Christmas cookies will do the trick. As long as your entire house or room smells overwhelmingly like sugar and vanilla, you should be all set.

2. Twinkle Lights

Never underestimate the power of a good strand of Christmas lights. String them up throughout your entire room to create a cozy atmosphere as you wait for December 25th.

3. Warm drinks

Fall may have pumpkin spice lattes, but winter has a whole variety of signature drinks to keep you warm leading up to the holidays: eggnog, peppermint mocha, hot chocolate—just to name a few. These drinks are perfect to hold as you grab a blanket and cuddle up to watch your favorite…

4. Christmas movies

Christmas movies are the best movies. Whether you’re into classics like “Frosty the Snowman” and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” or more contemporary films like “Elf,” “The Family Stone,” or “The Holiday,” these movies are sure to get you in the Christmas spirit.

5. Shopping Trips

The mall from Thanksgiving to Christmas can be a war zone, but it’s also one of the most festive places to be. The music, decorations, and your depleting bank account are all seasonal reminders that Christmas is upon us.  

6. Candles

Aromas can signal to your brain that Santa is indeed coming to town. Stocking up on every holiday-themed candle should make you feel the Christmas cheer. If you have time before leaving for break, the Yankee Candle Factory in Deerfield is the perfect winter wonderland and will make you feel all the Christmas feels.

7. Christmas sweaters

There is nothing quite like the coziness you feel wearing your favorite holiday sweater. So don that sweater and…

8. Your favorite fuzzy Christmas socks

…for the perfect festive outfit.   

9. Christmas Jams

“Little Drummer Boy,” “O Holy Night” and the NSYNC Christmas album are all perfect choices to pick from to get into the Christmas spirit.

10. Tree decorating

Last, but certainly not least, decorating the Christmas tree is the epitome of the holiday season. No matter your family’s traditions, tree decorating, and the time you spend with your family, are sure to make you feel Christmas in the air.    

If you’re struggling to keep your head above the tidal wave that is finals, just remember that the holiday season is upon us. Finals can take away some of the seasonal cheer so try these Christmas activities and get excited for December 25th. And before you know it, you’ll be home and enjoying the holiday season with your family.

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Samantha Reardon

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst 2020 Directionally challenged freshman, English major, politics nerd and Game of Thrones enthusiast
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst