10 Reasons Why You Should Go To The Big Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
The end of the school year is approaching, and as happy as everybody is to be almost done with classes, there are a lot of aspects that students here aren’t looking forward to. Packing everything up, studying for finals, and saying goodbye to friends—all are part of the end-of-semester blues. I don’t know about you, but my friends and I are planning on making the most out of the remaining weeks here. Fortunately for us, UPC (University Programming Council) is planning an event to kick off the beginning of the end: The Big Chill, from 1pm to 8pm on Goodell Lawn tomorrow April 30th. Here are 10 reasons why you should definitely be adding this event to your end-of-semester agenda.

1. Free food!

Let’s face it: the most popular f-word in college is FREE. And with meal plans coming to a close, a lot of us are probably saving up our food swipes (one too many “late night” trips in the beginning of the semester). At the Big Chill, there will be free food like hamburgers, hot dogs, and so much more!

2. Live Performances!

Now that the weather is getting significantly better than the brutal winter we experienced, being outside is a must. And what’s an outdoor festival without live music?! The Big Chill will not only feature acts such as Watts’ Closet, Kennedy, and The Go To, but also the Northampton band The Sun Parade will be playing a set. You should probably bring blankets if you want to sit down, but the music will be so good you won’t be able to resist getting up to dance. The music will start at 4, so come check it out!

3. Puppies!

One of the things I wish this school had more of are puppies. Here on campus, seeing a dog is a rarity; whenever I see one, it absolutely makes my day.  Especially with finals coming up, there is no better way to de-stress than playing with some adorable puppies on the lawn. That’s where you’ll find me.

4. Free T-Shirts!

Once again: FREE. Need I say more? I was always told that the amount of free t-shirts I would get in college was insane, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. UPC is known for their awesome t-shirt designs; for their Superbowl event, they had maroon UMass football t-shirts, and Spring Concert ones were great too. Adding another t-shirt to your collection is definitely a reason to attend this event.

5. Last Day Of Classes!

On the last day of classes, we are all going to want to celebrate with our friends. An event like this is a perfect way to get all of your friends together and just relax. Even if you stop by for a bit after your last class of the year, it’ll still take your mind off of finals for a little while.

6. Be Outside!

As I said earlier, spring and sunshine have been long-awaited on this campus. A lot of us like to relax on the various lawns around campus when it’s nice out, and this is another chance to do that (but with a lot of fun activities, too).

7. Human Bowling!

Who wouldn’t want to be placed in a ball and rolled into giant pins?! Or even push a friend in a ball and roll them into pins? Try one, or both, and experience bowling in a very real way.

8. Free Giveaways!

I know, I know, I’ve already said that there will be several free things at this event but I personally think that it’s a key feature. Tumblers and sunglasses will be given away, and for those of you who have ever driven to the beach and have forgotten your sunglasses, you know that you can always use an extra pair. 

9. Digital Caricatures and Henna Tattoos!

A lot of people like the ideas of tattoos, but don’t want them to be permanent. Henna tattoos last a couple of days, so you can experience body art without the commitment. And digital caricatures are perfect for a laugh with some friends…and for your wall next year.

10. Relaxation!

Whether you want to get a henna tattoo, go human bowling, or just sit on a blanket and listen to music, the Big Chill has a lot of reasons why you should go. Come to Goodell Lawn tomorrow to relax with friends, dance, bowl yourself or other people, celebrate the end of the year, and just chill

Andrea Lee is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Majoring in Communication, she is planning on pursuing interests in many different fields and taking different classes in order to find what she loves best. Andrea was an editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, and has loved to write for her whole life. Coming from the small town of Walpole, Andrea was overwhelmed by the large university but has found it to be her new home and loves being on campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst