10 Instagram Accounts Every Collegiette Should Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

@time

Although we can all tend to get a little too caught up in the news of what’s due in history class next week or who hooked up with who last weekend to watch the real news on television (or actually pick up a newspaper?!), we Collegiettes should try to be at least somewhat informed on current events. Since you’re probably going to be sitting in lecture scrolling through Instagram anyway, you might as well use that to your advantage to learn something. And what easier way than through the official Time magazine Instagram? A picture is worth a thousand words, so while you may not have time to pick up the magazine and read through every article, you can certainly take time to admire their both informative and beautiful insta-pics on your feed while learning a little something about the world at the same time!

@wetheurban

WeTheUrban, who call themselves the “#1 news source celebrating the best in fashion, art, music, and design” is a Tumblr-turned-online magazine whose Instagram pics will make you laugh, smile, think, and feel. From inspiring quotes to the newest designer lines to this famous American Gothic painting recreated with Jay and Bey’s faces, this Instagram will update you on all things pop culture.

@hilaryduff

To all you 90s babies and devout Lizzie McGuire fans, yes, Hilary Duff does have an Instagram and you’re welcome for informing you of it. Hilary is often fondly referred to as the only of our beloved child Disney stars that didn’t go batsh*t crazy by her 20’s, and her Instagram definitely reflects that. Follow for pics of her positively adorable son Luca, gorgeous selfies, the occasional tree porn and food porn, and what dreams are made of…(lol).

@theellenshow

Because Ellen Degeneres is the coolest person on Earth. I mean, if you ask me. Or anyone who knows what cool is.

@humansofnewyorkoriginal

If you haven’t yet heard of Humans of New York, you might live under a rock, and if you’re not following this amazing Instagram I recommend you do so immediately. A guy named Brandon started the project in 2010 by taking portraits of random people on the streets on New York City, but it grew much larger when he began including quotes and short stories from the strangers underneath the photos. Basically following this account is like people-watching from the comfort of behind your smart phone screen, complete with a thought-provoking insight into their life as the caption.

@jamesfrancotv

Let’s be real, what reason do you need to follow the ultimate heartthrob James Franco other than he’s James Franco?! If you can ignore the constant promotion for his new acting school in the captions, his selfie game is incredibly strong.

@naildecor

A girl named Manal from Toronto with an eye for style and a ridiculously steady hand runs this awesome nail design account. She posts tons of cool ideas for manicures and even sped-up tutorial videos on how to do them yourself! Although, mine never come out looking quite as good as hers…

@earthpix

Breath-taking photos from literally all over the world sent in by people via their email, EarthPixContact@gmail.com. Guaranteed to be much better than the amateur #skyporn your friends post every time there’s a half-decent sunset.

@gabbybernstein

Gabby is a New York Times best-selling author, life coach, and self-proclaimed “spirit junkie.” She teaches yoga and meditation, gives empowering speeches worldwide, and recently appeared on NBC’s Today Show and Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday. Yeah, Oprah. She posts food that looks way too delicious for how healthy it is, clothes and jewelry you didn’t even know you wished you had, and a ton of really beautiful and encouraging quotes to brighten your day when you scroll through your Instagram. Us Collegiettes often tend not to take as good care of ourselves as we should, body and mind. Follow Gabby and let her remind you how important you really are!

@cuteboys_withcats

There’s seriously an Instagram account full of pictures of cute boys and their cats…what are you doing still reading this article?! Grab your phone and go follow!

Katie Gainer

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst