This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re already a vegan, you deserve a lot of credit. It takes a lot of creativity and will power to prepare your meals, especially, when you live in a dorm. It’s definitely not for everyone, but if you’re thinking of becoming vegan or have recently started to try this diet, good for you! There are a ton of health benefits that outweigh the sadness you might feel walking out of a dining common without an ice cream cone. Plus, being vegan is animal friendly, and who doesn’t like animals?

Whatever your reason for starting, you should know that although having an all vegan diet can be healthy for you, there are some processed food items that are “accidentally vegan.” What we mean by that is some items that you buy at the grocery stores were not made with the intentions of being vegan, however because they are fakely processed (with chemicals, dyes, oils, and preservatives) they contain no animal or animal byproduct and are therefore considered vegan…well kind of anyway, a true Vegan die-hard probably still won’t eat these because there is no guaruntee on the label that they weren’t prepared in a kitchen that had not been contaminated with animal products. Perplexed? We were too.

Here’s a list of some of the foods we’re talking about:

#1 Monster Energy Drinks

#2 Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch

#3 Doritos Spicy Sweet Chili Flavored Tortilla Chips

#4 Keebler Club Crackers

#5 Brown Sugar Pop Tarts

#6 Smart Balance Buttery Spread

#7 Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

#8 Duncan Hines Creamy Home-Style Frosting

#9 Entenmann’s Single Serve Cherry Snack Pies

#10 Oreos

To be a healthy vegan (or healthy in any diet) it’s best to stay away from the processed foods. However, an Oreo here and there in moderation is a great sweet treat, but you shouldn’t justify eating a snack or a treat just because it’s vegan. “Vegan” is not a substitute word for “healthy.”

If you’re really interested in being vegan, don’t just decide you’re going to start and then just do it. When you change your diet, it’s best to do some research for the wellbeing of your health. The official website of the PETA organization gives great advice on how to start being a real vegan or suggestions on a trial period of being vegan, as well as tons of recipes and information on the benefits.

Stay healthy, Collegiettes!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst