Whats Happening in Mexico?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

In the past few weeks, the world has been hit with a ton of natural disasters. First Texas was hit with a hurricane, then Florida. As if the destruction of both Texas and Florida weren’t enough, Mexico was hit with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake.  

The earthquake hit just southeast of Mexico City. Eleven days after the first earthquake, a second one hit just off the coast of southern Mexico with a magnitude of 8.1. The aftershock of the second earthquake caused several small earthquakes near the epicenter. Both earthquakes occurred on the Cocos tectonic plate which is sliding underneath the North American tectonic plate. 

The earthquakes caused a lot of destruction of buildings and schools. According to The Guardian, over 40 buildings have collapsed in Mexico City including a private school which took 25 casualties. Many in the city and around have lost power. Rescue crews continue to look for survivors, but unfortunately the death toll keeps rising.

All people who have been left devastated by these natural disasters are in our thoughts! 

Photos: 1,2,3

Ali is a third year Mechanical Engineering major at the University of Maine. She enjoys volunteering with FIRST Robotics, reading and spending time with friends.