This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Ah, Valentines Day. For singles, it sucks. For new lovers, it’s the best day of the year. And for those in long term relationships, well…

• You love each other everyday, why is this day any different?

Seriously, it’s a regular Wednesday for you. You might have a few traditions, like going to dinner or cooking for one another, but other than that the day seems pretty Hallmark-ed at this point. A nice, small gesture usually does the trick!

• There is pressure to give each other a gift, even though you both say “no gifts”

More times than not when I find something at the store that my significant other would like or needs, and it’s not a bad price, I’ll usually buy it regardless of the day. But, there’s still pressure to get something special for this holiday, even though you do nice things for each other literally all the time. A fluffy stuffed dog, a box of chocolates, a cheesy card are good go-to’s!

• You’re still broke from getting their Christmas present

It seems like Christmas JUST happened, how are we already having to get more stuff for each other?! Especially after the holidays, everyone’s bank accounts are still feeling the hit. I’ll say it again for y’all in the back: A fluffy stuffed dog, a box of chocolates, a cheesy card are good go-to’s!

• Netflix and chill literally means Netflix and chill

We all know how it gets when you’ve been in a relationship for awhile. Your “me” time is “us” time and that’s perfectly okay with you. Throw on some PJs, and start binging the show you’re both invested in.

•  Everyone assumes you’re going to get engaged

When you’ve been in a relationship since freshman year or before, people are going to assume that you are going to get married. Your friends refer to you as “mom and dad” so much that you don’t even remember what you’re real names are. There’s always that person that asks “Is *significant other* going to pop the question this VDay?!” and then you start having heart palpitations.

Photos: 1

Reyleigh is a fourth year psychology major with a minor in business administration at the University of Maine. Reyleigh loves to travel, go to the ocean, take pictures, make art and spend time with family and friends. In her free time you can find her cuddling with her 12 year old English setter.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.