This Is What “Gossip Girl” Would Be Like If It Was Set In 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Four years ago, the greatest TV series of all time came to an end. While most of us still watch the show frequently, a lot has changed since it first aired in late 2007. Here are 15 ways Gossip Girl would be totally different if it aired today:

1. Scheming would have been exponentially more dangerous with the use of current-day smartphones.

The Gossip Girl gang was pretty good at ruining lives even in 2007, when the hottest phone on the market was a Blackberry. (LOL that Blair Waldorf had a Verizon phone with a full keyboard for most of the series.)

Sure, most of the characters had iPhones by the later seasons, but for most of the show, low-quality camera phone photos were usually enough to get someone in deep trouble. Imagine the damage that could have been done if screenshots and group chats were a thing!? Picture the Snapchat stories Georgina and Serena would have posted on a night out! Blair would probably spend all of her time trying to figure out who Chucks’ best Snapchat friends are. Nate would spend all his time checking to see if Serena had watched his story yet. Vanessa would spam everyone’s Instagram newsfeed with annoying 10-second films, and Dan would totally have an embarrassing Tumblr.

2. We would have been obsessed with Jenny Humphrey’s grunge-revival style.

When Little J first changed up her style, most of us were not down for her ripped fishnet stockings and dirty leather jackets. If Gossip Girl was set in 2016, we’d all be watching YouTube tutorials to copy her smudged black eyeliner and she’d probably have her own line at Gypsy Warrior, or something.

3. Rufus Humphrey wouldn’t have been in a ’90s band.

Because the 90s are cool again, it wouldn’t make any sense for Rufus to be in a 90s band. The whole point of Rufus is that he’s supposed to be embarrassing. Rufus would have been in like, Nickelback or Hinder or something.

4. Blair could have just used Tinder to find a fake boyfriend.

Remember when Blair came home from Europe with a fake boyfriend named James to annoy Chuck? He was seriously the worst fake boyfriend ever. If she had a Tinder, she could have been way more selective.

5. Chuck Bass would be BFFs with Scott Disick.

Chuck and Scott would definitely fly the Bass Jet to Ibiza when things with Blair and Kourtney get rocky. They would also just like, do stuff in tuxedos all of the time.

6. This photo would definitely not exist.

LOL, just use the front camera, Chuck and Blair.

7.  Nate would DEFINITELY have a man bun.

I know you’re probably thinking that Dan would have a man bun, because that’s so Brooklyn, but hear me out. Nate is supposed to be the pinnacle of hotness. Right now, we’re all obsessed with man buns. Because we’re supposed to be obsessed with Nate (and I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to hate Dan), Nate would have a beautiful, golden bun.

8. Nelly Yuki’s boyfriend would break up with her at a Fetty Wap concert.

Flo Rida is SOOO irrelevant these days, ugh.

9.  Dorota would be Twitter famous.

She always had the best one-liners, so imagine how good her 140-character zingers would be. Dorota’s humor is seriously so underrated.

10.   Lily Humphrey-Bass-Whatever would be on the Real Housewives of New York City.

Don’t even argue with me on this one. Just look at her. She’s even been on house arrest. That’s soo RHONY.

11.   Vanessa Abrams would never shut up about being a vegan.

Vanessa’s dietary lifestyle is never really confirmed in the series, but if Gossip Girl was made in 2016, she would talk about being vegan all of the time.

12.   Jennifer Lawrence would have a girl crush on Serena van der Woodsen.

S and J-Law both have that “I’m literally perfect but I’m still going to eat pizza all of the time and be really clumsy” thing going for them, so they’d obviously bond over that.

13.   Dan would work at Urban Outfitters instead of his part-time job as a cater waiter.

His hair would still be equally as creepy as it was five years ago, though.

14.   Charlie Rhodes/Ivy Dickens would try to be a Vine comedian.

The poor girl is literally so desperate to be an actress that she takes a job posing as a fake daughter. If it was 2016, she would probably just pimp herself out on Vine.

15.   Blair’s minions would eat Greek yogurt.

It seems like someone was always getting yogurt dumped on their head in Gossip Girl. Since Greek yogurt is way cooler than regular yogurt now, it’d be way harder for Eric to get it out of his frosted tips that time he wouldn’t move down a step for Jenny.

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.