An Untraditional Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Coming from a small family, Thanksgiving has never been a huge event for my family and I.  While a lot of families make huge feasts and invite their entire families plus their pets, my family opts to make a small meal and then just spend the day together.  Last year, my mom, sister and I ate, then traveled to Bar Harbor and explored some of the carriage trails!  The biggest consistency that we have for Thanksgiving traditions is that the three of us are all together, enjoying the time off together.  

But this year, even that tradition is being thrown out the window.  My sister is in Greece studying abroad (no, she hasn’t found Kostas yet) so this year, my mom and I are traveling to Old Quebec!  Old Quebec has such a rich history and it’s an awesome option for those who want a new cultural experience without breaking the bank.  While there we will be visiting museums, exploring the city, eating all the yummy food and desperately hoping we run into Justin Trudeau (he’s a hunk ladies, let’s be real)!

So, while our Thanksgiving will be far from traditional, I couldn’t be happier with our plans.  Holidays are often a time of stress when really they should be a time to relax and spend time with your loved ones.  So, no matter what you’re doing this Thanksgiving, take a deep breath, think of all the things in your life that make you happy and proceed to stuff your face with turkey!

Photos: 1, 2

Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.