UMaine from a New Yorker Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. UMPD vs. NYPD

The other night I had UMPD stop me on the street, “just to chat.” The only time you “chat” with an officer in New York is when they’re trying to make small talk while patting you down.

2.  People actually talk to you

Walking down the street on campus or off campus, I can’t help but notice that people actually say “hi” and wait for a response. In New York you usually avoid eye contact and if someone stops to chat it’s seen as that person just trying to waste your time while you’re in a hurry. Must say, it’s a nice change.

3. The Pizza Conflict

The number one concern people had for me when I told them I was going to Maine for college was “What about pizza?” As a New Yorker, you know that no matter where you go out of state, the pizza will never be the same. I’ve tried quite a few pizzeria’s around Maine in the short time I’ve been here and while they aren’t bad, they’ll never be as good as a New York slice.

4. “It’s right down the block”

In New York, that phrase is quite literal. If someone says a place is right down the block it usually entails a 5 minute walk tops. In Maine if someone says something is right down the block prepare for at least a 15 minute drive.

5. Say Coffee!

I don’t consider myself to have a New York accent. I’m 30 minutes away from NYC where the real accented New Yorkers reside. But still, no matter where I go and no matter what I say people point out my “Brooklyn  accent.” I think you guys are the ones who have the accent. But, that’s just me. Now, pour me some ‘Cawfee!’

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Kaylin is a first year Journalism major with a minor in World Politics at the University of Maine. She loves coffee, road trips, and good books.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.