Have you ever wondered what the male species REALLY mean by what they say or do? Deciphering between a harmless act of friendship, him actually being interested, or just looking for a hook-up can be confusing for us girls, especially as we mingle through the many guy cliques here at the University of Maine. A few UMaine guys tell us all what their true intentions are from the drinks they buy girls at the bar to being study buddies.
UMaine guys decoded:
You ask a girl to grab lunch: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- Interested, but in a way that he wants to hook-up after the 4th date harmless kind of way. - The Ladies' Man
- Interested. If I ask a girl on a lunch date it is because I am interested in actually talking to her and getting to know her a little bit. If the lunch doesn’t go good though I wont be interested in hanging out again. – The Athlete
- “Harmless… If I'm asking a girl to lunch it's mainly because I think she's cool and I want to get to know her more. Usually they'll give off some sort of signal as to what they're thinking/feeling as well.” – The Frat Guy
Text a girl saying you know of a party and she should go: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- "Hook-up every time unless you’re good friends. Even then it’s still probably a hook-up… Come on, it’s college." - The Ladies' Man
- “Texting a girl you know of a party and telling her to go is a harmless move to make. You should not assume that because you get a text to go to a party they want you. Usually a bunch of other girls are receiving that same text.” – The Athlete
- “If I text a girl about a party, most likely I want her to go. That being said, I would like her to go with me or at least meet up with me. Interested.” - The Frat Guy
Ask a girl to study with you for a class you share: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- “Meathead = Hook-up. Meatheads do not study.” - The Ladies' Man
- “Ask a girl to study with you for a class you share is harmless. If you need help, you need help; it just makes things easier if the person helping you has a cute smile to look at while you study.” – The Athlete
- “Harmless. If you're asking her to study, you're basically asking her to hangout. Therefore have some small interest and just want to feel it out before you pursue.” – The Frat Guy
Confiding in a girl about more personal things: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- "Aww, he probably wants to tell you all about his favorite part of The Notebook and apple picking and how his grandmother is the most important person in his life... Get real; He is playing the emotional card to make it seem like he doesn’t just think about protein and weights so when you see him you think "Aw, he’s actually really sweet" and go home with him. Hook-up." - The Ladies' Man
- “Confiding a girl about more personal things is on a more personal level and usually has to be interested in the girl to open up. I don’t usually open up to anyone ever so if that is the case we’ve already hooked up and you are probably my girlfriend at this point.” – The Athlete
- “When/If I talk to a girl about more personal things I have some sort of trust in her in one way or another. I feel it's on more of a friend level than anything else. Harmless.” – The Frat Guy
Liking more than one of a girls profile picture on Facebook: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- “Has anyone ever heard a girl say, "I think it is so cute he 'liked' five of my Facebook pictures at 3:00 am"? No, because it has never happened - Creepily interested." - The Ladies' Man
- “Liking more than one of a girls profile pictures on Facebook is defiantly trying to get her attention. It is either because I am interested in the girl or because I am very attracted to the girl and in both cases want her to know it.” – The Athlete
- “This one is solid –- Interested. Liking/Poking on Facebook or favoriting on twitter is the new way of social media flirting. If I take the time to like anything you do, I think you're worth my time.” – The Frat Guy
Pay for a girls drinks at the bar: Harmless? Interested? Hook-up?
- “Gentlemen hook-up move as long as you let her order whatever fruity expensive drink she wants. It ceases to be nice when you order her 3 well shots of vodka and get yourself water – that is just creepy. However, guys beware of the ditzy blonde getting drinks from every guy at the bar, she has already made plans to go home with someone and its not you.” – The Ladies’ Man
- “When paying for a girls drink at the bar all intentions are to take them home with you at the end of the night. Hook-up.” – The Athlete
- “I don’t do it often, so if I pay for your drink at the bar, accept it for what it is as a way for me to acknowledge you and show I’m interested. Not all guys are trying to get you completely blackout and take advantage of you.” – The Frat Guy
So there you have it ladies. I think some of our greatest fears about the man-kind have been confirmed while others have pleasantly surprised us. Not all guys’ intentions are the same, but keeping this in mind may not hurt the next time you get that questionable text or action from your male friend.