Traveling the World with Jade: White Sand & Clear Blue Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Barbados was BEAUTIFUL. I had never been anywhere in the Caribbean until this port. The people of the island mainly all spoke English. I was expecting beautiful tropical waters which I did find…not on the first day though! It was raining on the first day so we couldn’t do much walking around. A kid named Ben on the ship had rented out a shack for his birthday. So from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. we all had a blast on the rope swing, high dive, water trampoline and “iceburg” climbing wall in the water. It was unlimited drinks and unlimited food! Even though it was raining it still was beautiful from the colorful woodwork of the benches and tables. It was really cool because the rope swing and high dive were off of a mini boardwalk that traveled from the shack over the beach to the water.

The next day we had a relaxing day on the beach. The water was literally sky blue and the sand was super soft and white! It was so soft that with some water it felt like mud! We camped out on the beach for a few hours. Some of my friends went on the banana boat which is like tubing except you straddle the banana instead of laying down on your stomach. After that we left and went out that night.

The third day, Caroline and I got up early and went to the Mount Gay Rum Distillery. This tour included a lot of taste testing which makes me not want to ever drink rum straight up. But their rum is the key ingredient in their delicious rum punch drinks. The cool thing about this distillery was that we got to see the physical process of the packaging and production of the rum. At the Jameson factory in Ireland, they showed you models instead of the real deal. After that we walked back to the ship so that we could make it back for our zip lining field program with SAS! It was a ton of fun, we did about 8 or 9 different lines. I was kind of nervous at first since I hadn’t gone zip lining since I was in France in 7th grade, but it was a ton of fun! I made it to each platform (as in I didn’t have to pull myself the rest of the way because I didn’t make it). After zip lining we shopped A TON in the terminal.

Even though it didn’t seem like I did a lot in Barbados it is definitely somewhere I will want to visit again. I loved the tropical feel and atmosphere. And it was actually water that I could swim in for a while; which never happens!

Jade is a junior at the University of Maine majoring in Mechanical Engineering. She loves sports (especially soccer), traveling, fashion, art and going out with friends. Raised next door to Orono, she attended Bangor High School where she was a three sport athlete and a part of several clubs and councils. Recently, she studied abroad during the fall 2014 semester with Semester at Sea visiting 15 countries over 4 months.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.