books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Things to do to Boost Your Mid-Semester Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

A couple weeks ago as I was walking out of class I got a text from a friend saying “Are we still going to see that new movie tonight?” Ugh, I thought to myself. I have so much homework due.. Do I really have any time in my schedule? As I sat there thinking I realized how much I have been overworking myself lately, which I know many college students can relate to. Why don’t I ever prioritize me time? That’s when I decided that I was going to take at least an hour, every day, to focus on something I really wanted to do and do it! For different people this may mean different things, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Reading

I know you probably think I’m crazy for adding reading to this list because of all of the reading we already do for classes but sometimes it’s nice to read about something you’re truly interested in. (This could be out of a magazine, book, blog) Reading is also very relaxing and is great to do right before you fall asleep at night.

2. Going for a run

When people are stressed out, exercise is something a lot of people turn to. Running can help you relieve stress, lose weight, and improve your overall health. Plus, with fall right around the corner the view can be beautiful.

3. Going to your favorite coffee shop

I know that when I’m stressed out the one thing that can get me though it is a nice 20 minute drive downtown to get my favorite smoothie. This small thing can make my day go from 0-100.

4. Writing

Writing allows you to clear your head and get every thought out. Start keeping a journal or join Her Campus! Not only will it be a good stress reliever but one day it’ll be cool to look back and read what your thoughts were in college.

5. Getting your nails done

.. I mean how can you not feel amazing after you do this?!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

My name is Lilah Gagnon and I attend the University of Maine. I'm double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and plan to attend law school after graduating. In my free time I like to go to the beach, cook, and exercise.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.