Take Your Workout Outside This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The days are finally getting warmer and with Daylight Savings on our side, the daylight is finally stretching past 6 PM again!   This is great news for everyone’s fitness plans.  Spring weather means it’s time to switch it up and get outside with your workout instead of staying held up in the gym with all of UMaine’s students spring colds infecting the equipment.

UMaine is in the perfect location for a variety of spring time outdoor activities. Here are the top five ways to get some fresh air while working on your fitness.

1.  The Alfond Stadium.
Running stairs is a great workout for toning your legs and but. Now that the snow has melted, the stadium is a great place to catch some sun and fresh air. Try doing five up and downs (yes ALL the way up), three times and doing 25 push-ups in-between each set. 

2.  UMaine Trail System
With multiple bike paths and ski trails you have several options for the spring. While the snow lasts you can still get out on the ski trails to cross-country ski or snowshoe in the nice warm weather. Skiing or snowshoeing not for you? Go for a run or bike ride on the bike path loop starting by the Fitness and Recreation Center tennis courts and looping to College Ave.

3.  Take a day trip to Acadia
Just an hour and a half from the UMaine campus, is the gorgeous AcadiaNational Park in Bar Harbor. Get your friends together and go for a hike up CadillacMountain or visit Thunder Hole! You’ll be sure to get some exercise walking around or hiking in the park!

4. Maine Bound Adventure Trips
Check out Maine Bound for the latest outdoor adventure trips. Coming up this month is the Bigelow Backpacking Weekend trip (March 26-March 27). Look at the Campus Recreations website for more details or head over to the Maine Bound Barn!

5. Hiking Mt. Katahdin
A few hours north of the UMaine campus is Maine’s highest peak, Mt. Katahdin. If you haven’t hiked it yet, it’s a must!  Some would call it “the best work out of their lives,” but be prepared it’s a challenge.

There you have it!  Now get outside and enjoy the spring weather!

Images from geocaching.com, goblackbears.com, and backcountry.com

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.