Take Your Wardrobe From Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Although the leaves have begun to change, it doesn’t mean your entire closet has to! Packing up your favorite pieces from summer can be a buzz kill since it insinuates the harsh winter to come. This fall, try holding on to your favorite summer staples a couple more months with these easy tips.

1. I know we all have heard the saying of “No white pants after Labor Day,” but they never said anything about shorts! By pairing them with some fall colors like rust, gold and burnt orange, they too can be worn after the summer months. This year’s trend of over the knee cable knit socks and tall leather boots also adds the needed coverage to keep you warm while walking to class.

Cardigan , Tank , Socks , Shorts , Boots , Bangles , Bracelet

2. Your favorite cut-off jean shorts have to be the hardest items to pack up after the end of summer. Luckily, there is a way to prolong this despite the cooler weather! Celebrities everywhere are layering their cut-off shorts with thick tights and edgy combat boots. Just add a boyfriend-fit flannel and cropped leather jacket and you are good to go to any casual occasion.

Jacket , Tank , Flannel , Tights , Shorts , Boots

3. The maxi dress came with full force last spring/summer and it does not have to end with the impending fall weather. One quick and easy fix to carry it into fall is to layer it with key pieces. A jean jacket, short cowboy boots, and a trendy mustard colored scarf add just enough warmth and texture to the otherwise simple maxi.

Maxi dressBelt 1 , Belt 2 , Scarf , Booties , Jacket

4. While a silk camisole kept you cool in the summer, it can also add to your fall fashion collection. Pair it with a wool grandpa sweater or tailored blazer and it adds just enough coverage while still looking feminine. To add a little something more to your outfit, you can belt the camisole either under or over the cover-up to accentuate your waist. I recommend either a velvet bow shaped cincher or chain link belt that rests right on the hips.

Blazer , Heart studs , Pyramid studs , Tank 1 , Tank 2 , Jeans , Wedges , Chain belt , Bow belt , Cardigan

5. A black body-con dress or skirt may seem like a more challenging feat to bring into fall than the other pieces. Normally worn out on the weekends, the trend doesn’t have to stop in the fall or even be limited to night anymore. Layer a chunky, camel colored sweater over your skirt or dress and pair with tights. A pair of polka dot tights is right on trend this season and will add some funk to a rather simple outfit. Add a long feather necklace or collar necklace and no one would ever guess it’s the same pieces!

Dress , Sweater , Tights , Boots , Skirt , Bracelet , Necklace

A couple easy tips to remember when battling the change of the seasons:

1.) Adding pieces in fall colors like rust, brown, or mustard is a quick fix to transform any outfit from summer to fall.
2.) Pull out your light jackets and cover up by mixing fabrics like knit, leather, or suede.
3.) Fall is always about layering! Essential for this season are a pair of polka dot tights, cable knit over-the-knee socks, and an array of scarves in order to carry your favorite summer pieces well into fall.

photo credit: google images

Olivia is a senior pursuing a Marketing degree at the University of Maine at Orono. Besides being a co-branch correspondent for the Her Campus UMaine Branch, she is the business manager for the University of Maine student newspaper, The Maine Campus. One of her many interests is fashion and writes as a contributing fashion writer for Her Campus UMaine. Olivia hopes to land a career in the industry after graduation.