Sexual Assault Awareness Month Events All Over the Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, but it wasn’t until the early 1980s that April was established with such a title. In the beginning of raising awareness of violence against women, the month of October was used by advocates to focus on issues such as domestic violence. However, sexual assault advocates wanted a different time to focus specifically on sexual assault issues. So the National Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NCASA) got state sexual assault coalitions to select a week in April as Sexual Assault Awareness Week. By the late 1990s, however, it became common for advocates to hold sexual violence events (e.g. protests) during the whole month of April.

America first nationally recognized April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month in 2001. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) has been promoting Sexual Assault Awareness Month activities since this time. There is also a chosen day from each Sexual Assault Awareness month that is recognized as the “Day of Action”. This is the day that advocates for the Sexual Assault Awareness campaign to start activities and events that are planned throughout the month of April. The Day of Action this year was Tuesday, April 5, 2016.

Events that have occurred so far for Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April 2016 were: “Yes, and…” exhibit about sexual assault, the 11th Annual Conference on Crimes Against Women, and the University of Texas San Antonio Call to Action Day.

“Yes, and…” is an informational exhibit about sexual assault, sexual health, and the importance of consent. This exhibit took place in a gallery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Here, there were paintings, sculpture, and poetry displaying personal stories about sexual assault. The Annual Conference on Crimes Against Women was a three-day training event in Dallas, Texas aimed to provide information and strategies to professionals that are responders and advocates to victims of crimes against women, which includes sexual assault. The University of Texas San Antonio Call to Action Day is a day at the university that offers students and participants the opportunity to learn about sexual violence awareness as well as the opportunity to show support as an active by-stander.

Upcoming events for Sexual Assault Awareness month in April 2016 include: the 18th Annual MASOC/MATSA (Massachusetts Adolescent Sex Offender Coalition/ Massachusetts Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers) Joint Conference: Preventing Sexual Violence Through Assessment, Treatment and Safe Management, the JuST Faith Summit, “Break the Silence”, and the “Respect Yourself, Protect Yourself” College Prep Workshop.

The annual MASOC/MATSA Joint Conference will take place from April 13th to April 15th in the Royal Plaza Hotel and Trade Center in Marlborough, Massachusetts. During this conference, almost 1,000 professionals who have committed themselves to preventing sexual abuse through early teaching to children and adolescents who have sexually abused. It is the goal of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers to prevent future incidents of sexual assault through management of sex offenders.

The JuST Faith Summit is a Christian-sponsored event that will take place from April 20th to April 22nd in Longwood, Florida. Speakers and workshops are used to discuss child sex trafficking in America. Speakers include: survivors, law enforcement, prosecutors, recovery ministries, and experienced restoration home providers. “Break the Silence” is a seminar at the Hawthorne Memorial Center in Hawthorne, California. This seminar will take place on Saturday April 23rd, 2016. The keynote speaker and psychologist, Dr. Gloria Morrow, dedicates the seminar to educating and supporting those impacted by sexual assault. Finally, the “Respect Yourself, Protect Yourself” College Prep Workshop will take place at the Attea Middle School in Glenview, Illinois on April 24th, 2016. This workshop is aimed to prepare women in handling health, safety, and social issues they may experience in their college years.

Bringing attention to the issue of sexual assault has definitely come a long way in the United States. We went from having a week dedicated to sexual assault awareness to a whole month! There are events all around the country for citizens to attend. It has also been made possible to discuss sexual assault issues through communications of social media. So everyone has a chance to become educated and aware about all issues surrounding sexual assault.

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.