Sex with Sarah: Approaching Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Oh Valentine’s Day (or Singles Awareness day for some people). It makes some peoples’ hearts fill with joy and pink/red cards and boxes of chocolates. It also makes some people even more grossly aware of how single they are which can either lead to excessive drinking or hooking up. Whichever side of the spectrum you are on, here are a few tips to make this V-Day a good one.

If you have a partner: Instead of going out and doing something traditional like buying a card and going out to a fancy dinner, switch things up this year with a little homemade love. Let’s face it, college students are broke for the most part, but that doesn’t mean you can’t treat your special person to some extra special love. Make your own card, make them a special dinner, and in lieu of gifts do something fun like make coupons for different sexual activities. Or make a scavenger hunt where the final prize you hiding somewhere in a sexy outfit or naked. Adding the personal touch and creativity will make it a memorable holiday and will also bring you closer together. Also, when thinking about what to write in their card, try something fun like adding lyrics from a song you both like or maybe just recap a special moment you guys had together. This should be something they can always look back on and smile at.

If you are single: Don’t go rushing off to the Roost to drown your sorrows in alcohol and one nightstands. Valentine’s Day is about LOVE, so you should celebrate the love you have in your life, not the love you think you’re missing out on. Go out with your friends, give your family a call, or snuggle with your pet. Sure, half of the whole hype of the holiday is brought upon by greeting card companies and those gross couples you see snuggling together in class all day, but we all have love that we can celebrate. Keep this mantra in mind: Celebrate the love you had, all the love you have now, and the love that will be your way. Also, if there is someone in your life you have feelings for or just holds a special place in your heart, let them know. Life is too short to have fear and barriers get in the way of something amazing.

photo credit: google images