This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Many people have been following the trial for Larry Nassar to see what consequences he would see for his horrible actions.

Larry Nassar was accused of sexual assault by over 150 woman, dating back two decades. The woman accusing him were all gymnasts that would go to Larry when needing medical attention because he was the official doctor for the USA gymnastics team. While in court, each victim was given the chance to say something to Larry, the most known was Aly Raisman’s speech. Raisman said “As for your letter yesterday, you’re pathetic to think that anyone would have any sympathy for you,” she continued. “You think this is hard for you? Imagine how all of us feel. Imagine feeling like you have no power and no voice. Well you know what, Larry? I have both power and voice, and I am only beginning to just use them. I will not rest until every last trace of your influence on this sport has been destroyed like the cancer that it is.” (CBS News). Raisman ontinued to tell Larry that his actions are finally receiving consequences and that the women he abused will be silent no more, “We, this group of women you so heartlessly abused over such a long period of time, are now a force, and you are nothing,” Raisman said. “The tables have turned, Larry. We are here. We have our voices, and we are not going anywhere.” (CNN). Larry Nassar was sentenced to 175 years in prison for sexual abuse.  The most important thing to think about when reading this story and watching the trial is to realize that one person speaking out can give other confidence to do so too. Speak up.

Sources

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/larry-nassar-sentencing/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aly-raisman-olympic-gymnast-testifies-in-front-of-larry-nassar/

Cover photo: 1  

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.