Profile: Stephen Cochrane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The UMaine hockey season is in full swing! The boys currently have a record 5-9-3 with high hopes of finishing the season strong. With nine more home games left in the season, there is still plenty of time to catch them at the Alfond. Stephen Cochrane, number 20, gives us the low down on what it’s like to be on the team and fills us in on how the season is going.

Basic Facts

Name: Stephen Cochrane

Hometown: Hingham, Massachusetts

Relationship Status: On Facebook it says married, but I’m taken. Aside from my regular relationship, I’m also in a bromance with Dane Gibson. I’m kind of a puck slut.

Sign: Cancer (I’m not really sure what zodiac signs are…we had to look this up)

Twitter: @chirper20

Instagram: @chirper20

Campus Life

Major: Business undeclared

Year: Sophomore 

Why UMaine: For hockey mostly.. and because the beautiful state of Maine.

How else are you involved on campus? I’m not right now, but things are in the works.

Bests

Best friends: Brendan, Gibby, Bubba, and Danny

Best place to meet people at UMaine: I can go off on this one. When my roommates door mysteriously gets broken (although it’s not really a mystery) and other teams there are like, “why are you breaking down the door?”.. I don’t know, that’s kind of our thing. And then you say “hey” and your name, and then we just kind of go from there. Aside from that, I’d assume a frat party would be a good place. Although I’m not in a frat nor have I ever been there, but I would assume that’s a good place to meet people. With your brothers. Hilltop is always a good place to meet people, whether it be waiting in line for shitty food or sitting near people eating shitty food. I can’t stress the shitty food enough. Dorm hallways are always a nice place too, because you’re kinda forced to get to know them or it’s just awkward. Usually they’re good people.

Best professor: Shawn McKenna – he’s the GOAT. Hope he gets well soon.

Best thing to do on the weekends here: Go to hockey games and support other athletic events. Maybe go to a frat house; I heard it’s a good place to go on the weekends. But again, not too sure because I’ve never been. So I’m just going off what I’ve heard.

Favorites

Favorite song to dance to at a party: Parachute by Chris Stapleton; that’s our team’s go-to dance song these days, led by Danny Perez and Malcom.

Favorite song to listen to alone while driving your car: Anything U2. I also like to listen to Pardon My Take sometimes because music today is all the same, and I like listening to sports more than music. Sometimes. Kind of just made that up, but it’s okay.

Favorite movie: Um, I have a lot. Anything that Mark Walberg, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Will Ferrell are in.

Favorite place to eat in Orono: The Roost with Davie

Favorite thing about being on the hockey team: Just people knowing who you are is kinda cool, I guess. And if Carlos from OHOP sees us coming in, it’s automatically $5 no matter what we get.

Favorite memory with your team: Ah, memories. Our golf trip to Kebo. Maine Day was cool last year. We all hung out at the Grove and celebrated Maine. Secret Santa parties are always fun. And weird. Mostly fun. Halloween is usually fun…but we’re never here for it so we watch it through Snapchat stories which usually sucks.

Top Three’s

What are the top three things on your bucket list?

1. Go to Europe

2. Go to a Coldplay concert

3. Open my own restaurant

What are the top three things about the season so far?

1. Travelling to Miami, Ohio (which took like all day when it should have taken four hours)

2. Sweeping our opening weekend in front of a big crowd

3. Spending Thanksgiving with the team

What are the top three things to look forward to the rest of the season?

1. Hockey east playoffs

2. Home games at the Alfond with all of our friends

3. Notre Dame in Portland should be a good time

Hockey

How long have you personally been playing hockey? Since I was four and now I’m 20 so that makes for 16 years.

What position do you play? I play defense

How do you and your teammates spend off time? We go to Chipotle a lot and Chick-Fil- A recently. We like to go to Starbucks, a lot, like a lot. We like to go to the Bangor Mall sometimes which is usually a let down. I really like this question. Sometimes, we go golfing in Bangor. Six or seven of us will go. We like to go to the Ave hot tub because it’s cool and relaxing. We’re not really into decorating for Halloween or Christmas, but we like to have celebrations for it so the spirit is still there in a sense, ya know?

*All photos belong to the subject*

Marissa Zink and is currently a sophomore at the University of Maine! She is a Child Development major with a minor in Legal Studies and hopes to go to law school in the future. Marissa is a proud sister of Alpha Phi and loves to hike, read, and drink coffee!
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.