This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Basic Facts

Name: Eliana Bergdoll

Hometown: Burnham, Maine

Relationship status: Engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sign: Capricorn

Instagram: ellieb_fit (fitness Instagram), elianahannah (regular)

Birthday: December 26, 1996

Siblings: Twin sister, Abi Bergdoll!

Campus Life

Major: Kinesology with a concentration in exercise science

Year: Senior

Why UMaine: Location and school/job opportunity

How are you involved on campus/off campus? I am involved in Exercise is Medicine which is a student organization that promotes exercise as medicine and encourages health professionals to promote exercise as a form of medicine.  I am also a student ambassador for EDHD as well as a personal trainer at the Rec Center as well as locations off campus!

Bests

Best friends: My roomies!

Best class: Exercise physiology and exercise prescription

Best thing to do on the weekends? Hiking

Best nickname: Chubs (shoutout Jack)

Favorites

Favorite song to listen to while driving: One Last Song by Sam Smith

Favorite place to eat in Orono: Woodmans

Favorite way to exercise: The gym or hiking

Personal Training

How long have you been a personal trainer?

Since May 2016

What is your favorite thing about personal training?

I love helping clients to see their small victories as well as their big ones.  So often people get caught up in the big picture that they ignore or don’t notice all the tiny improvements they’ve made when really, the small victories are what helps fuel them to get to the big victories! 

What is your ideal client?

Someone who is functional enough to accomplish a specific goal that they come to me wanting to accomplish.

Do you prefer making workout plans for your clients or working with them personally?

I enjoy making plans because I can serve and reach more people that way.  People will often DM me on my fitness Instagram (ellieb_fit) asking for a 4-week guide which is really cool and I love making them.  But on the other hand, working with an individual in person is optimal if possible because it’s easier to teach them and keep them motivated.

Why should people invest in personal training of any sort?

Right now, there are so many misleading and uninformed opinions/advice that people give out in the form of fads and trends that people listen to without all the facts.  While following “fitspos” on Instagram can be extremely motivating, in the long run, it often won’t do much for you and a lot of times these “fitspos” have no professional training in the field.  They cater towards the “now” trends as opposed to a focus on overall health.  Personal trainers on the other hand are motivated to educate as well as ensure that clients feel happy and can leave the session or program self-sufficient, which will benefit them in the long run.

What made you want to start personal training?

My family has been modeling a healthy lifestyle for as long as I can remember and as I began to adopt it as an adult, I realized how abnormal a healthy lifestyle is in America.  I really wanted to educate others and show that it can be conquered through healthy diet and exercise.

Ors

Baxter State Park or Acadia National Park? Baxter State Park

Kale or spinach? Kale!

Fall semester or spring semester? Spring

Top Threes

What are the top three things on your bucket list?

1. Go on backpacking trip through Switzerland
  2. All my friends to get a big bus and road trip to all the national parks
  3. Stay in an overwater bungalow

What are the top three favorite things about being a twin?

1. Always have a best friend!
  2. You have your own free wedding planner (thanks Abi!!!)
  3. Favorite travel buddy!

What are your top three pieces of advice for anyone looking to start working out/being active?

1. Reach out for help because it can be very overwhelming to look at all the info out there
  2. Don’t ever be afraid of trial and error! Everyone, even experienced people, experience ups and downs!
  3. Don’t get impatient when you don’t see results over a few weeks! It takes time! You will get there!

If interested in contacting Ellie, feel free to contact her through her Instagram (ellieb_fit) or her email, eliana.bergdoll@maine.edu !

Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.