Item of the Week: Anorak Jackets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Even though spring clothes have been in stores since January, the thought of anything flowery, bright, and airy seemed inconceivable while we were navigating glaciers en route to class. But now that Spring Break is finally upon us, we can finally start thinking about spring clothes. In honor of the warmer weather that’s to come (hopefully), our Item of the Week is THE jacket of the season: the anorak jacket.

The anorak jacket aligns with the menswear trend that has been around for a few seasons. Barbour-style jackets were huge in the fall, military jackets had a huge moment this winter, and anorak jackets are Spring’s answer to the baggy, masculine trend.

Anorak jackets are great because they transition from casual to dressy, and day time to nighttime. Wear one with your everyday outfit of jeans, or with a casual day dress. They also contrast well with the femininity of a girly satin or silk dress, and toughen up the look.

This spring, stores are carrying the jackets in a variety of colors, which is a nice departure from the tradition black, grays, and military green. J.Crew is even carrying one in burnt pink! If you want one
that will go with most outfits, stick with neutral colors like black and military green.

Don’t be afraid to buy one that’s better quality, but a little more expensive, because this trend isn’t going anywhere. You’ll be able to wear it on cool summer nights, and all the way into the fall. In fact, these jackets have been in style forever, and simply regain popularity in cycles. My mother even has a cool one from her early adult years!

Jump on this trend early, because come April, anorak jackets will be the signature coats of cool girls everywhere.

Images from J.Crew

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.