How to Survive Cold and Flu Season at Umaine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It happens every year. You’ll walk into class and all you hear is sniffling and coughs from multiple people. Cold and flu season is never fun, especially for a college student. Here’s a few tips on how to survive or at least make it less miserable.

Be prepared

Nothing is worse than waking up with a cold and having nothing to treat it. Keeping cold and flu medicine and cough drops on hand is always a safe bet. Combat that cold as soon as it hits!

Boost your immune system

This goes hand and hand with being prepared. Boosting your immune system is your major defense this season. You can boost your immune system by taking something like Emergen-C or Airborne or by simply drinking orange juice. Anything that helps with boosting your immunity will make the flu season less miserable.

Get Enough Sleep

Typically, its not easy to get extra sleep in college. However, by consistently getting the adequate amount your body needs, you’re boosting your immune system’s response.  Sleeping is good for your health and if you get a cold then your body certainly needs the sleep.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE

This is one the easiest ways to avoid the flu or at least make it go by faster. Your body needs fluids to function. Drinking enough water each day keeps you running in tip top shape and makes you more immune to sicknesses. If plain water is difficult to drink, don’t be afraid to spice up your water with some lemon or your favorite fruit or vegetable.

Disinfect

Your best bet is to get rid of the germs, before, during, and after being sick. Using hand sanitizer and making sure you’re washing your hands regularly is one way to stay germ free. Disinfecting things you normally touch (doorknobs and such) can help prevent you and your roommates from catching those nasty germs! 

Photos: 1, 2, 3 

Ali is a third year Mechanical Engineering major at the University of Maine. She enjoys volunteering with FIRST Robotics, reading and spending time with friends.