This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Valentine’s Day is an exciting day for every young couple. It gives partners the chance to express their devotion and love to one another, but for long distance couples it can have a whole new meaning. I have been with my boyfriend for just over two years but we have been long distance for a little more than a year and a half. That means that the majority of our time has be spent apart.

In long distance relationships couples can spend countless hours on FaceTime and Skype. They talk about their school, jobs, friends, and everything else that their partner might have missed. On the weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day couples might pick out a present for their significant other making sure to mail it out at least a week ahead of time so their partner can open it on Valentine’s day. This Valentine’s Day my boyfriend will be at an entirely new military base making getting his new address a hassle. But it will be worth it when he opens his gift on FaceTime on February 14th!

Another important aspect is how can a couple make Valentine’s Day special for each other. When couples schedule FaceTime dates and phone calls days in advance it can be hard to spice things up. My boyfriend and I try to order the same type of takeout (usually Chipotle or Chinese food) and Skype while we enjoy our dinner. It makes it seem like a dinner date and adds an extra topic of conversation, food! Sharing a meal with the one you love may not seem like the most exciting thing to most couples but people who are long distance know how special it truly is.

While nothing is truly better than having your significant other with you I have to say the best thing about a long distance relationship is the communication. Whether it be working through disagreements or receiving a handwritten letter from my boyfriend every time I hear from him I remember how grateful I am to be his girlfriend. They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder and i have to agree. Long distance couples cherish every text, call, Skype date and visit more than anything. And that love is something that only grows with each day apart. Valentine’s Day may be hard for those who are missing a loved one but it only makes them excited for future holidays they’ll have together.

Photos: 1

Emma is a junior at the University of Maine at Orono. She double majors in sociology and political science and is minoring in law and legal studies. In her free time, Emma loves to go fishing, snowmobile, kayak, read, sew and explore the great state of Maine! Instagram: @empooler
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.