- 1 large eggplant (1 ½ lbs.)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups fine cry seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ to 1 cup olive oil
- 2, 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ lb. Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pare and slice eggplant crosswise into ¼ - inch slices. Dip slices into beaten eggs and then the breadcrumbs making sure to coat each slice completely.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over moderate heat. Fry eggplant slices, a few at time, until browned on both slices. Add more oil to the skillet as needed. Drain slices well on paper towels.
- In a well-greased, shallow, 8 –inch square baking dish, layer 1/3 of the eggplant slices, 1/3 of the tomato sauce, 1/3 or the oregano, 1/3 of the salt, 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese, ending with the Mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered at 350’ for 25 to 30 minutes, until sauce is hot and cheeses have melted.
Serves 4 to 6
photo credit: google images
You Might Also Like...