Football Home Opener is September 24th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

No plans for this Saturday afternoon? Come to the first football game of the season against James Madison University! The first game of the season is always a big event. Now’s the time to watch your favorite black bears during these last few weeks of warm weather before the negative ten degree weather that’s right around the corner. Plus, who doesn’t want free pizza at the student tailgate before the game? It’s the perfect opportunity to show your school spirit and spend some time outside.

We have it pretty easy as fans: sitting on the bleachers, chowing down on fries and enjoying football.  But it’s definitely not easy being one of the players on the field. They’ve been preparing for months to have a successful season. Senior wide receiver Jordan Dunn weighs in on what he expects for this Saturday’s game.

What are you looking forward to the most for this game?

I’m looking forward to playing the home opener in front of a loud and very excited Black Bear fan base with a crazy atmosphere.

How have you prepared?

We have been watching a ton of film on them so we know what to expect and we have gone over all their coverages, blitzes, and other tendencies in practice at a very high tempo.

Do you anticipate it to be a close game?

I do think it’s going to be a close game because they’re a very good team and they’re nationally ranked, but we are still going to win!

What do you predict to be the biggest challenge in the game?

I think the biggest challenge will be making plays in the fourth quarter where everyone is beat down and exhausted. It’s more of a mind game at that point and it will dictate who wants to win more.

The players also love a buzzing crowd of fans to support them through the game, so a big part of football games is tailgating. Seniors Nyajal Ngoal, Rachelle Pallin and Meghan Murphy talk about the social aspect of this Saturday’s battle.

Besides the drinks of course, what’s your favorite part about tailgating?

Nyajal: I’ve only done it once, but it was so much fun that now I look forward to it every game. All my friends are 21 now, so it will be that much more exciting. My friend’s parents are coming too, so it’ll be a great time. We’re just hanging and watching some football.

Rachelle: My favorite part is the food and energy of being with all your friends and showing school spirit!

Meghan: My favorite part about tailgating is being surrounded by other football fans, both college students and adults. There’s so much school spirit and it’s a great way to get pumped up for the game!

So this Saturday afternoon, head out to see the first home football game of the season and cheer on UMaine! Indulge in some tailgating or simply feel the spirit in the bleachers. Hope to see you there!  

Monica is a second year Communication major. She's looking into minoring in Business Marketing. She's from Freeport, Maine. She loves going to new places, the beach and hanging out with friends.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.