Fifty Shades of Excited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

All those flowers, paper valentines, conversation hearts and oversized teddy bears honestly don’t do much for the average single girl (my only valentine is Netflix), and we tend to avoid all of them on February 14th, lest we be reminded of our inevitable loneliness. To make ourselves feel better, we delve into comfort foods and wine. In all seriousness, WHAT could POSSIBLY be more exciting for the single American than a sensationalized holiday designed specifically for lovers?

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, THAT’S WHAT.

The movie adaptation of the novel by E.L. James is set to hit theatres at midnight this Valentine’s day, which is smart marketing on the producer’s part. There’s something for every love-deprived soul in this movie: fast-paced city life, hot actors, and steamy sex scenes.

The series has received lots of backlash since the first book’s release in 2011 as it contains some very racy content, including a rough (in every sense of the word) BDSM relationship. This has been coupled with hours of media segments devoted to the growing lifestyle. Rihanna once said “whips and chains excite me,” and as Fifty Shades gains popularity, many are beginning to relate to the phrase.

Two main topics of discussion have risen from this book/film: many do not think it is an accurate representation of the BDSM lifestyle, and others believe that it promotes rape culture. I am not an expert on these topics, but as a reader of all three of the books, I hope that I can help debunk some myths.

First: It is very important to remember that the main character, Anastasia, actively consents to all of the acts, sexual or otherwise, in this storyline. She signs a contract that strictly outlines everything, and she also has the power to say no at any time. It should also be noted that she does say no about a myriad of different things, and Christian, her love interest, respects her wishes.

Second: BDSM comes in many shapes, sizes, and colours. In other words, this book is not an accurate representation of a more extreme BDSM relationship, however, it is an accurate representation of one form of BDSM. Anyone around the world could be engaging in the same activities as Ana and Christian, and it can still be called BDSM.

My favorite part of this story is the plot. Most of the time, when a fable that revolves around sex is created, the actual plot is cast aside, making for an awful story (read: Magic Mike). This author, however, keeps the plot at the forefront and sugarcoats the rest with raunchiness. In fewer words: come for the sex, stay for the story.

In my humble opinion, this is the best thing since sliced bread. I have excitedly absorbed every bit of footage released in trailers and I’m anxiously awaiting the moment when I can see the film. I personally want to thank everyone involved in the making of this movie. Why? Because now, when anyone asks me what my Valentine’s plans are, I can sigh a collective sigh of relief (I know other single girls around the country will do the exact same thing), and say that I am going to see a movie, and I will truly enjoy my Valentine’s Day alone.

Taryn Lane is a third year at the University of Maine, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism. She also has two minors: Music and Religious Studies. When she's not writing, she's performing in one of three vocal groups on campus or organizing events for her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon. In her free time, she loves running, reading, burning too many candles at once, and drinking coffee & tea. She has a fascination with lobsters. One day, she hopes to run the Boston Marathon and join the Peace Corps. Taryn aspires to be a columnist.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.