This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Easy at home Costumes

With Halloween coming up, everyone is looking for costume ideas, especially ones that can be done on a college budget. Here are some easy ideas that can be done with little money, or for that party that just came up last minute. 

Everyone loves their new Iphones, right? So why not be one for Halloween? All you need is all black clothing (pants and shirt or even a dress) and some construction paper. You can cut out small squares and color or cut application icons on them. Then simply pin the squares on to your black clothes and viola!! And if decorating app icons isn’t for you, you can also be an egg by wearing all white and pinning a yellow circle on your belly. Both these costumes can also be easily done with fabric paint or markers if you don’t mind ruining your clothes.

Another technology idea is being a pixilated picture for Halloween. This can be done with some face paint and a couple of fabric markers or sharpies. For girls (or guys willing to wear makeup) you can blend face colors better by simply brushing a powder foundation over the top of the paint once it dries. Lips can also be pixilated by painting red squares around them or even using different shades of lipstick. If you want to incorporate your clothing paint or draw squares on your clothes to match your face. The costume works best when the paint or markers are a slightly different color than the clothing material. 

There are also some easy ways to dress up as your favorite candies. Most of these involve painting boxes but you can also dress up as a bag of candy. The easiest way to do this is to be a bag of jelly beans. First find a big see-through bag. Then cut out leg and arm holes. Using a sharpie make up a name for your jelly beans (or other candy brand). Put on some all white clothing and once you fit the bag around you, fill the empty space with colored balloons to become a bag of candy.  To top off this outfit you can also tie a bow around the top of the bag or even on your head.

Finally, Disney inspired costumes are always a favorite of any age and there are some easy ways to be your favorite characters. Russell, the little boy from up, is very simple. Find some tan cargo pants or shorts and a button down shirt. To make your scout sash take a brown paper bag and cut diagonally across and staple the open side closed. If this is too small add another strip of bag to the bottom. Draw scout badges across your sash and to complete the look put on an orange neck bandana, a dark backpack and attach a couple balloons to it. 

Disney princesses can also be easy costumes because you only need to wear the right colors for your princess (Bell is yellow, Snow White is blue red and yellow, Sleeping Beauty is pink etc…) Tutu skirts are an easy way to be a princess and they are easy to make. Buy some elastic and wither tie or sew together a loop that can fit comfortably around your waist. Then using tulle make slip knots around the elastic to make your tutu. Tutus can also be great for costumes such as insects, fairies, or pageant girls and it’s cheaper to make your own.

Hopefully these ideas gave you inspiration to go out and create a costume of your own.

I'm a 4th year college student of umaine. I'm a psyc major and hopefully a innovations minor. I also live music and play three instruments .I like to think anything I imagine can be real.
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.