Campus Celebrity: Lee Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The Basics

Name: Lee Anthony Jackson (Sorry to everyone finding out what my middle name is actually Anthony) and  *A moment of silence for everyone that hoped “Lee” was short for something.*

Hometown: Old Town

Major: Political Science

Hobbies: Volunteering, Track & Field, fishing with my grandad and Netflix.

School Stuff

Why UMaine?

My family has been a part of UMaine for generations. My parents met here, my grandmother works here and my grandfather helped build a few dorms.

What’s your favorite thing to do at UMaine?

Studying at Fogler Library. You’re welcome, Mom.

Campus Posse?

Yellow House or 2B

Work Stuff

Current job?

#LeeFromMcDonalds

Dream job?

White House Chief of Staff

Random Stuff

Pat’s, OHOP, or Domino’s?

Kostas makes a mean bluezone.

Cats or dogs?

Cats are great however, I love my redbone coonhound.

You’ve recently been featured in a Huffington Post article about how you won a local election on a $200 budget. First of all, how pumped were you when the writer contacted you?

I was originally contacted to be a panelist on a segment of @HuffPostLive titled “Who the Hell Would Run for Office.” It wasn’t until later that day a random young man found me on Twitter and said he enjoyed my article and sent me the link. It turns out that the Huffington Post saw the panel and wrote a specific article about my election.

How did you go about accomplishing such a feat with so little cash?

“Money makes the world go round”

It’s a lie. It’s not true. Hard work, sweat and close-knit people make the world spin. We won the election by meeting with voters, knocking on doors and talking about issues that matter.

Who or what are your biggest inspirations?

My mom raised 3 kids as a single parent. She’s the strongest person I have ever met. Whether she’s running a business or running the household, she inspires everyone around her…. and Olivia Pope.

Have you thought about running for Old Town City Council?

Yes I have! I still haven’t made up my mind. I love sitting on the school board but I would love to focus on the revitalization of downtown Old Town. The next election is in June so we’ll find out.

What are your goals for the future?

Just like everyone else, I’m working hard towards my degree. At the end of the day, I just want to be able to sleep knowing I’ve done my best to make my mom proud and give back to my community. I want to make it sure Maine students aren’t forced to leave the state after they graduate. We need to create an environment where Maine students and graduates have more opportunities for success here at home.

You can find the Huff Post article about Lee here!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.