Campus Celebrity: Janay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Meet Janay Wright, this week’s campus celebrity! She’s a UMaine student who recently made Top 10 at the Miss Maine USA competition and took home the title of Miss Congeniality! 

Name: Janay Shayla Wright

Hometown: South Berwick, Maine

Major: Business Management.

Minor: Earth Science

Fun fact: I have never used a hashtag on social media. My favorite nights are full moon nights. I couldn’t live without being able to watch the sun rise/set, hearing the heartbeat of the one I love, and of course my crazy family.

Twitter: I do not have a Twitter :)  

Instagram: janay.s.w

How did you get involved in pageants? I got involved with Miss Maine USA because I really wanted to do something new with my life. I felt that this would be a great choice because I enjoy stepping out of my comfort zone and experiencing new things. I am also the type of person who enjoys being social and helping others. I saw this as an opportunity to challenge myself through unknown terrain. As something completely different and new, I grew in many ways and know that I am more confident for having completed the journey.

What did you do to prepare? Preparation is really about focusing on who you are as a person. No one should know you better than you know yourself. During the summer, after work, I would exercise by jogging through my town, and eating right. As school came around I spent a lot of time at the rec center, as I always have. I spent quite a bit of time practicing potential interview questions and finally, learning how to do my own hair and make-up. Believe it or not, prior to this journey I never had any make up or hair related skills.

Favorite part of the pageant? My favorite part about the pageant was meeting all of the wonderful individuals I had the opportunity of getting to know. It was a breath of fresh air to spend time with an entire new group of women. Everyone was so friendly all weekend and I had a blast getting to know each and every one of them. Not to mention the pageant staff were amazing. All of them were very passionate about what they were doing and it did not go unnoticed. Each staff member made the weekend exciting and were beyond helpful. I look forward to my future endeavors with Clemente Productions.

What’s something unexpected that happened to you throughout the experience? I did not expect to do as well as I did at this year’s pageant. It was my very first time going through and I also did not have any coaches to help guide me through the process. I was surprised to have made Top Ten as well as win the Miss Congeniality award, which is the only award of the four given that is voted on by all of the contestants. In the future I hope to be able to take full advantage of the Clemente Production sponsors and utilize their help as much as possible.

Campus involvement: Alpha Phi, Photography Club

Career goals: There are many things I wish I could do with my career, but unfortunately in the end I will only be able to choose one. So, I believe that I will end up owning my own daycare business as well as a small photography business on the side.

Why did you choose Umaine?: I chose the University of Maine for the reason that I live in Maine and it was the best option in terms of finances in the long run for me. I am someone who also loves to spend time outdoors and Maine is one of the most beautiful places for outdoor adventures.

Favorite Umaine memory: In honor of formal season, I must say formal season here at the University is definitely a time where many good memories come from.

Best advice for new black bears : Get out of your dorm rooms and get involved! Even if you’re shy, I promise you will be happy you did. Even if you do not find a club or organization you like right away, keep trying, there is bound to be something here for you! Also, if you have an opportunity to do something new, do not turn it down! Especially if it is something you can only do when you’re young because you’re only getting older and you will only regret not taking every opportunity by storm and making the best out of your college years.

Favorite thing to do in Orono : The Bog Walk is a classic here in Orono that is a favorite of mine, but I also love all of the trails attached to the University, especially during the fall, it is beautiful.

Aroma joes, Dunkin or Starbucks? Depends, if I want to sit down and chat for a while, Starbucks, and if I am in a hurry, Dunkin Donuts usually wins.

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.