Campus Celebrity: Dr. Sandra Caron

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Dr. Sandra Caron, a UMaine Professor and author of The Sex Lives of College Students, Sex Matters for College Students: FAQs in Human Sexuality and Sex Around the World: Cross Cultural Perspectives in Human Sexuality

Hometown: Brewer, Maine

Where did you go to college? UMaine! Doctorate at Syracuse University

What was your undergraduate major? Health and Family Life

How many years have you been part of the UMaine faculty? 28 years

Little known fact about yourself: I was a UMaine Undergraduate

When did you begin your teaching career? 1988

What made you want to become a teacher (specifically, what made you choose your concentration?) Interest in reaching people- inspiring others personally and professionally 

Favorite course to teach at UMaine: CHF 351 – Human Sexuality

What is your favorite thing about your job: The students and the diversity. The research, Radio Show, and Sex Matters (20 years).

What is the most shocking thing you have discovered about college students and their sexual habits in your research? The amount of college students that fake orgasms

Best UMaine memory: My Undergrad Mentor. Being in the sorority Pi Beta Phi. Friendships that have lasted a lifetime.

Best advice for future Black Bears: Find your passion and don’t just look for a job.

Favorite spot in Orono: Margaritas 

This year, you’re most looking forward to: 1) Going back to Europe and teaching the UMaine abroad course. 2) My new (future) book “The Birds and The Bees and More” Where Babies Come From and New Families Form.

Samantha Nardone is a Junior Communications major at the University of Maine in Orono. After she graduates she plans on attending Law School in Boston, Massachusetts. She enjoys blogging, taking snapshots, and keeping up with the latest trends.
Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.