sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Cory Lemay of the Paranormal Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Name: Cory Lemay

Year: Third-year

Major: Secondary-education

Involvement on campus: President of the Paranormal Club

1. How did you get involved with the Paranormal Club?

I am deeply interested in understanding why people believe the things they do, so, when I had heard about this club last year, I had to join. This year we’ve expanded the club to discuss more than just the paranormal – but all non-mainstream beliefs. 

2. What does the club do?

We take an open-minded, kind and critical look into all non-mainstream beliefs. Some weeks we investigate issues like hauntings, psychic readings and alien abductions. 
Other weeks we invite guests for discussions. The other week we spoke to Rodney Cluff, author of “World’s Top Secret – Our Earth is Hollow” and had the opportunity to talk with him about his Hollow Earth Theory. I’m currently working on organizing discussions with a Bigfoot hunter, an exorcist and a man who claims to be immortal. 

3. What’s your scariest story?

You wake up in the middle of the night because you could’ve sworn you heard something. Looking around, you don’t see anything, so you go back to bed. The next day, you notice that there is a photo you don’t remember taking – it’s of you sleeping. 

4. What’s your favorite Halloween movie?

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

5. What will you be for Halloween?

A Sallie Mae student loan. 

6. How can people join the Paranormal Club?

We meet 6 p.m. on Tuesdays in the FFA Room of the Union. 

7. Anything else you’d like to add?

If there is one thing that I’ve learned from talking to people who hold non-mainstream beliefs, it is that they are reasonable, rational, kind-hearted human beings who have reasonable arguments for why they believe what they do. While those arguments might not be scientifically valid, they are reasonable. 
Always remember that people are more important than ideas. One should always put the person first. While I may disagree with a person very deeply or think that what they believe is wrong, I realize that he is a person and has value, so every word should be spoken with respect and with kindness. 
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.