Campus Celebrity: Christopher Columbus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Name: Christopher Columbus

Hometown: Genoa, Italy

Major: Explorations

Birthdate: October 31st

Although Christopher Columbus may be considered one of the most controversial men in history, (…perhaps with good reasoning. Taking credit for discovering the Americas while he may also be responsible for running native people out of their homelands is pretty controversial.) we’re going to focus on some of the other perks of his legacy.

If there’s one thing college girls can thank Christopher Columbus for, it’s Columbus Day Weekend.

Columbus Day Weekend is undeniably one of the best shopping events of the year. Whether you’re planning to spend all weekend at your favorite mall shopping until you drop or sitting in bed while you simultaneously fill up your online cart and watch Netflix, you can safely bet that your closet is going to be at least a little bit cuter by Tuesday.

Not an awesome online shopper? No worries! Racked.com has compiled a list of the greatest online sales so you can leave the exploring up to good old Christopher. Check it out here!

PS, Columbus may not have actually discovered America…but it’s totally possible that he invented the power point pose that we college girls have grown to love. Thoughts?

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.