Campus Celebrity Alumni Edition: John Trull

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The Basics

Name: John Trull

Nicknames: Dj Trullietrull, Mr. T, Coach T, Trull…just Trull, JohnTrull (one word).

Hometown: Saco, ME

Relationship status: “Is there anything more you can be than single? Very single?”

Twitter: @jtrull23

Undergrad Info

Major: Secondary Education with a concentration in History

Campus Involvement: Intramural Supervisor

Favorite UMaine Memory: “Probably Dodge’s infamous keg stand.”

Best advice for undergrads: “You can retake a class but you can never relive a party, and that’s coming from a teacher… so you know it’s serious.”

Postgrad Life

Current occupation: Special Education teacher and JV basketball coach at Bangor High School

What’s the best part of your job? “Just working with all different kinds of kids who all have different abilities. Some need my help more than others do. I enjoy being at work every day, because I never know to expect. I have such an influence on those kids, but I rely on them as much as they rely on me. One of my Autistic students is moving next Friday and he’s not really emotional but he’s been very sad this week. People with autism don’t normally express their emotions, but he’s been visibly upset so we’re trying to have a good time before he leaves. That’s how I know I’ve made an impact on him, because he’s expressing emotions that he’s never shown before.”

What about coaching? “Basically one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher was so I could also coach. This is my second year being the JV coach, and I spent a lot of time preparing for practices and games. My goal is to be a professional or college coach one day. I’ve stayed in touch with many of my players after they graduated, because I’m always trying to be a mentor to them and help them through college.”

Is it easy to find a job after graduation? “No, unless you have connections. I did my student teaching at Bangor High School, and if I didn’t have that opportunity, I wouldn’t have a job there.”

What’s the most unexpected part of postgrad life? “You get tired earlier and go to bed earlier. You can’t skip work like you can skip class.”

You currently live in Orono, is the vibe of a college town different after graduation? “I still have a close knit group of friends here that I like to go out with, so it’s almost better than college.”

What are your favorite spots in Orono? “The Rec Center, Harvest Moon, the Irving (for Polar Pops) and 5 Summer.”

Anything else you want to add? “It’s important to do what you love and love what you do in life. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by great friends, family, coworkers and students who have made me who I am today. Understand that everyone comes from a different background and may not be as fortunate as you, so think before you judge people. Make a difference in someone’s life, you won’t regret it. Go Cowboys!”

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl. 
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.