This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Sunday, October 16th was the game all true Patriots fans have been waiting for! When Tom Brady jogged onto the field to warmup an hour before kickoff, the stadium erupted with cheers and applause. The stadium was completely full before the National Anthem was played, and when Brady jogged out of the tunnel, the crowd was thunderous and deafening. The sold out crowd included 66,829 proud fans holding up their signs displaying their admiration and support for Brady and slamming NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Tom Brady has officially returned to his home turf in Foxborough! Brady played impressively and won his first game after his four game suspension last Sunday in Cleveland against the Browns. But this past Sunday’s game was considerably different because it was Brady’s first game on his home turf since the conclusion of his Deflategate suspension.

It has been nine long months since the four-time Super Bowl champion has played in Gillette Stadium. The last time Brady took the field in Foxborough was against the Kansas City Chiefs during an important playoff game. The Patriots were victorious during this divisional playoff. Then the Patriots went off to Denver for the AFC title game, and unfortunately, we all know how that game ended.

Brady finished Sunday’s game with three touchdown passes and accomplished a career milestone marking his 5,000th completion. This remarkable statistic makes him the fourth quarterback in NFL history with over 5,000 completions. The final score against the Bengals was 35-17! Brady also finished the game with 29 for 35 for 376 yards. In Cleveland, Brady threw 406 yards with three touchdowns ending the game with a winning score of 33-13.

Brady stated in the Boston Herald, “Once I got out there running around, it felt like football. You’re not going to win because you’re emotional. But I think having your attitude right…that allows you to be at your best for your teammates.” Brady’s return at Gillette assisted tight end Gronk’s career high of 162 receiving yards. Gronk’s first touchdown catch of the season was followed with his signature Gronk power spike in the end zone. Star receiver Julian Edelman served as the Patriots emergency quarterback during Brady’s suspension. According to the Boston Herald, Edelman stated, “It was good to get him home. It was an electric environment out there with Tom back.”

Brady is 39 years old and is playing his 17th season of football, but his age does not hold him back. Throughout NFL history, 39 is the age where the majority of quarterbacks retire or struggle to be a successful asset to the team. Brady has clearly expressed his desire to continue playing the game into his forties and shine as a legendary quarterback.

The Patriots travel to Heinz Field in Pittsburgh this Sunday and play the Steelers (4-2) at 4:25 pm. The Patriots currently remain 5-1 and are ranked first in the AFC East. Brady has won 80 percent of the games he has played against the Steelers. Since 1970, Brady has the highest winning percentage of any quarterback with at least five starts against the Steelers.

Pittsburgh presently holds the NFL record for most Super Bowl wins, which is six. Even though the Patriots have won less Super Bowls (four), they have won the Super Bowl most recently, in 2015, 2005, 2004, and 2002. The Steelers have won the Super Bowl in 2009, 2006, 1980, 1979, 1976, and 1975.

Laura is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Elementary Education with a concentration in Child Development. She is a member and the Vice President of Kappa Delta Pi; which is an international honor society for individuals majoring in education. Laura loves to dedicate her time outdoors, volunteering at the Bangor Humane Society, and values spending quality time with her family.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.