Bar Etiquette That All College Students Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Whether or not you’ve joined the 21 club, I’ve realized lately as a bartender and waitress that sometimes there are some overlooked rules that all college students should know and follow when it comes to the bar. Those that have worked in the food service industry usually know and are considerate of the pet peeves that all guests do. Those that have not worked in the food service industry may just not be aware of what could be an annoying habit at the bar rail. Here are a few tips to remember while spending our Thursday’s at The Roost and our Sunday mornings at The Family Dog.  

1. Don’t ask the bartender “what’s good?” “What’s your favorite thing to make?”

2. We know you want something. Find a way to ask without sounding like you’re barking orders.

3. You’re not the only person sitting at the bar. Bartenders may look like they have their shit together, but they also have 50 things going at once.

4. Don’t wave the bartender down if you’re not sure what you want to drink- particularly when they’re busy!

5. If you have a card, open a tab. Don’t make the bartender close you out every drink!

6. Don’t ask for stronger drinks. Liquor licenses usually want to be kept, and bartenders have a few rules they have to follow.

7. TIPPING. A dollar per drink! At least!

8. Last but not least- PLEASE AND THANK YOU!! Overall, it’s important to remember the golden rule. Bartending and waitressing can stressful, and it’s our duty as guests to make their lives a bit easier in return for the services provided! 

photo: http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/06/54d3cdbba4f40_-_esq-01-bar-lgn.jpg

Katelyn is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Psychology and Child Development/Family Relations. Her involvement with Her Campus began at the UMaine chapter in 2015. Currently she is President/Co-Campus Coordinator of the UMaine chapter. In addition to HerCampus, Katelyn is also Secretary of UMaine's Active Minds chapter. Katelyn's future plans include traveling, being a dog owner and figuring out how to be an adult. Fun fact: she uses excessive amounts of hairspray & loves to wear black.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.