6 Reasons Why Thanksgiving Break is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Halloween has come and gone, and although the big box stores have completely disregarded Thanksgiving and skipped right over to Christmas, that doesn’t mean it’s not the best holiday break. Sure, spring break is warm and lively and Christmas break is long and lazy, but Thanksgiving break beats them both as the best break from school and here’s why:

1. It’s the perfect length of time at home.

For those of you who live close enough that it’s worth it to go home over Thanksgiving break, you know as well as I do that five days really is the perfect amount of time at home. For the first two days, you love being back. You get to spend days with your family and close friends, stuffing your face and hanging out with your pets. On day three, you get to burn off those calories by spending the day shopping or getting ready for online deals from home. But as days four and five roll around, you’re missing your freedom and ready to head back to school.

2. You get to see the family you haven’t seen since you left for school.

For Thanksgiving, all of your family comes together with pies, casseroles, and traditions that you look forward to every year. You get to spend time with your cousins and find out how they’re doing in school. You get to see your favorite aunts and uncles, and listen to everything they’ve been up to while you were at school.

3. Final grades haven’t come out yet, so you can still pretend you have your life together.

When your entire family asks how school is going, you can say it’s going well because hey, there’s still time to turn it around. Dean’s List hasn’t come out, so they can’t look and see that your name isn’t on it! No one has to know you’re failing three classes and stopped getting out of bed before 10.

4. Free food.

Enough said.

5. A week away from school to get yourself together.

Whether it be studying for finals, catching up on schoolwork, or just taking a mental health break, Thanksgiving break gives you the time to do what you need to do. Sometimes, you just need a solid break away from it all to get yourself together. You can take the time to relax in order to recuperate from midterms and get ready for finals. If you have a project you’ve been putting off, it’s a good time to get a good chunk of work done when you don’t have any daily homework to cater to. It’s the perfect hiatus that allows you to get a little life back in you just in time for the semester to close on a good note.

6. Even if you aren’t going home, it’s a break from school.

If home is a little too far to make the trek back for the holiday, Thanksgiving break is still exactly what you need. Treat yourself on Black Friday at the mall, have a friendsgiving with anyone else stuck on campus for the week, and take advantage of the time away from all your school stresses.

Photo: 1

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.