5 Unique Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Spring Break is around the corner, and for all of you out there looking for an adventure, aside from binge watching Netflix for a week straight, here are some options that you may not have thought of yet!

1. New Orleans, Louisiana

Everyone knows that the biggest party in New Orleans is Mardi Gras, but people seem to forget about the second biggest day there – Saint Patrick’s Day, which just so happens to fall on Spring break this year! New Orleans is a great alternative to the big cities, because where it still is a city, it has more of a European feel to it. Walk down Bourbon to the sounds of Jazz and Blues filling the street, amazing food and parties into the early AM. Flights to New Orleans usually range between $200-250 per person, and you can find hostels as low as $17/night! It’s reasonably priced and a great story to tell everyone when you get back.

2. Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park is the most visited National Park in the country. If you’re into hiking, climbing, and camping, this is the perfect spot for you. Rent a car and pack it up with a friend or two. The only essentials you need to bring are sleeping bags, a tent, clothes and food – then hit the road. There is nothing better than a road trip with a couple of friends, only to follow it up with spending a week at one of the most beautiful places in the country.

3. Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is a fun and cheap alternative to the other tropical destinations. Flights from Boston to San Juan run between $250-300 per person (roundtrip) and you can find AirBnB’s or hostels in the area for pretty cheap as well. The most important part of Puerto Rico is that it’s technically part of the U.S. so you don’t need a visa or a passport, just your license. And to top it all off, the area is filled with tropical beaches, rain forests, clubs (where the drinking age is 18), bioluminescent bays and so many historical landmarks. You could travel all day and party all night with your friends, while staying on a budget.

4. Amsterdam, Netherlands

The things you hear about Amsterdam are true, it really is the freest city in the world. March is the best time to fly to Europe, with flights starting at $500/person and hostels starting at $14/night! If you’re looking for a great big adventure overseas, Amsterdam is the place to start. You can either spend a week exploring the city or spend a couple days touring from country to country in Europe. Once you get to Europe, travel between countries is usually just a train ride away.

5. Vermont

For all you snow lovers out there – Vermont is a great option close to home for Spring Break. You can rent a cabin with a couple friends and bring your skis/snowboards and just spend a week on the mountains drinking hot chocolate and taking in the sights. A lot of the mountains in Vermont start lift tickets at $25 and if you bring your student ID, you can usually save money on lift tickets, food, and stay!

*** Tips for Traveling ***

1. If you’re flying – book two one way tickets for better prices.

2. Also, book your flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the best rates.

3. Flying red eyes on weekdays will save you a lot of money.

4. Go grocery shopping when you get to your destination instead of eating out constantly.

5. Do NOT overpack! A carry-on sized suitcase should be able to fit everything you need for a week.

6. Bring a cross-body bag or backpack, and keep your valuables safe.

7. Try to stay off your phone while traveling. You’ll have a better experience if you’re watching the scenery instead of checking Instagram every two minutes.

Always looking for the next adventure
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.