5 Study Snacks to Fuel Your Brain (and Body) During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Finals week is just around the corner and you know you’re going to stuff your face with BBQ chips and soda while you cram. Though you may think it’s a good idea at the time, it is actually super bad for you physically and mentally. You’ll feel bloated and full of regret as you wipe the Doritos cheese residue off your face. Check out these alternatives to unhealthy snacks to help keep a strong body and healthy mind during finals week!

1. Avocado Toast

Not only is avocado toast as delicious as it is nutritious, it’s more than filling if you’re preparing to sit down for a 3+ hour study session. The fruit, (yes it’s a fruit), is packed with over 15 grams of healthy fats, 160 calories, and 2 grams of protein in 1 serving! Spread over whole-wheat toast with salt and pepper and it’s the perfect healthy snack.  

2. Banana Peanut Butter Bites

Who needs plain bananas when you can slice them, spread some peanut butter in between 2 slices and freeze ’em! Not only are these snacks ah-dorable, but bananas are high in potassium, too. They taste even better when combined with the saltiness of peanut butter. If you want to “kick it up a notch”, as Emeril Lagasse once said, then dip the mini-stacks of heaven in dark chocolate!

3. Hummus & Carrots

Hummus and carrots are the best way to get your “chips and dip” fix without the calories. Loaded with vitamins and fiber, two tablespoons has 50 calories. Although hummus can be high in fat, it’s the good kind (phew!) and it’s super easy to make on your own. All you need are chick peas, olive oil, lemon, tahini, garlic and spices. A super easy step-by-step guide can be found here.

4. Homemade Trail Mix

Trail mix is a snack staple. It’s an amazing source of energy, and perfect snack if you are craving M&M’s but are avoiding the judgment of eating the whole bag left over from Easter (guilty). Recipes can vary and it’s basically a mix of anything you’re craving. Maybe you prefer pistachios over cashews, or maybe you had a bad experience with cranberry cocktails and can never look at cranberries the same way again… Either way, there’s a recipe for anyone. Popular trail mix items include: dried fruits (banana chips, cranberries, dried blueberries or  cherries), chocolate chips, M&M’s, granola, pretzels, cashews, cereal, almonds and walnuts. Go nuts! No pun intended.

5. Strawberries & Low-Fat Cool Whip

Maybe this is only me, but strawberry shortcake is one of my all time favorite desserts. Now, if I could eat that for every snack I would, but the sugar rush would be way too over the top. This alternative is a sweet treat for someone who loves sweets as much as I do, but also wants a great source of antioxidant promoting vitamin C and omega 3 fatty acids. Fun fact- folklore states that if you split a double strawberry in half, and share it with someone of the opposite sex, you’ll soon fall in love!

Eat up and study hard, collegiettes!

Aley Lewis is a senior journalism major at the University of Maine, and photography editor on the student run newspaper, The Maine Campus. She grew up in Boston in an italian family, and is planning her trip back to the city upon graduating. Aley loves cooking healthy recipes, and over indulging on hair and beauty products! You can find her at the gym, on Newbury St, or playing with her cat, Coco. 
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.