5 Reasons We Still Love Gossip Girl 9 Years Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Happy Monday!

Monday is arguably one of the least liked days of the week by our culture.  No one calls it a case of the Tuesday’s for a reason. Monday is the start of the productive week about to happen (ideally).

However, this Monday isn’t just any Monday.

This Monday marks the nine year anniversary of arguably one of the best and most addicting shows on television- and Netflix.  Nine years ago we were introduced to Serena Van der Woodsen as she stepped off the train and into our lives.  Nine years later, we still hear the song “Young Folks” and think of Blair and Serena on the Met steps, Nate and Chuck loosening their uniform ties, and Dan being lonely boy.

Sure, not everyone shares this addiction but for those of us that are still sad that Serena grew up and married Ryan Reynolds and Jenny is still wearing too much eyeliner, today is an opportunity to celebrate the show that gave us our one and only source into the scandalous lives of Manhattan’s elite by reminiscing on what makes this show so great.

1. It really was scandalous.

Realistically most of us don’t have the level of drama and money that our favorite characters had in their lives.  It gave us an opportunity to see how we might act if we were rich, unattainably beautiful, and poised to perfection. I mean, maybe if I was Blair Waldorf I’d have boys flying to Paris just to buy me macaroons, right? Most of us don’t want a Georgina in our lives, but we love to watch her mess with our favorite characters.

2. It’s addicting.

Let’s get one thing straight- everyone goes on Netflix binges. Netflix wouldn’t be as relevant if everyone watched just one episode at a time.  The exclusivity of the Upper East Siders that makes Dan and Jenny want to be on the inside is the same exclusivity that makes us watch back to back 42 minute episodes just to know what happens to Chuck and Blair next.

3. While we’re on the subject- Chuck and Blair.

If the 90’s had Ross and Rachel, we have Chuck and Blair. Seriously. Their relationship was a rollercoaster ride we never wanted to end.  Three words, eight letters- say it and I’m yours. IT TOOK FOREVER.

4. It’s glamorous.

Seriously. Why don’t we ever have black-tie events to go to, like, every single weekend? How many times did we get to see Serena and Blair dressed better than we will be on our wedding days in the most effortless way possible?

5. Who is Gossip Girl?

The constant question. The series finale provided us with the answer, but the ride to get there was so entertaining we almost didn’t want to find out.  In the interest of protecting any readers that haven’t seen Gossip Girl from spoiler alerts, I’ll never tell.

XOXO

Katelyn is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Psychology and Child Development/Family Relations. Her involvement with Her Campus began at the UMaine chapter in 2015. Currently she is President/Co-Campus Coordinator of the UMaine chapter. In addition to HerCampus, Katelyn is also Secretary of UMaine's Active Minds chapter. Katelyn's future plans include traveling, being a dog owner and figuring out how to be an adult. Fun fact: she uses excessive amounts of hairspray & loves to wear black.