5 Hair Mistakes You Probably Made Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1.) You didn’t pay attention to the direction of your curls. When it comes to curls, remember the golden boy band rule. Your curls should all be going in ONE DIRECTION and should be N*SYNC with each other. (Please, a moment of silence for my comedic excellence.) You need to curl your hair out–this is a slightly difficult concept to explain through text. Think Farrah Fawcett; her curls always looked windswept because they curl away from her face rather than INTO her face.

2.) You wash your hair everyday. I know I’ve already mentioned this a few times but there is a whole other world out there for girls who skip washes. The benefits go far beyond saving your hair’s natural oils. Think of all of the fun activities you’ll be able to do with all of the time you’re going to save! Shower caps are also a very adorable benefit.

3.) You neglected the ends of your hair when you curled it. This mostly applies to using a wand to curl, but make sure you’re not skipping out on the ends. You can have the most gorgeous, voluminous curls of all time, and it wouldn’t even matter because the ends are totally straight. I use a heat resistant glove when I use a curling wand so that I can press the ends directly on the wand. You can buy one here for $5.

4.) You didn’t use a heat protectant spray. HELLO?! Avoid this: 

Heat protectants are usually known for being expensive. I found a $4 Garnier Fructis one that I love and smells delicious.

5.) You used your hairspray incorrectly. The technology seems simple, right? Spray on hair. Voila. Wrong. A bad spray job can leaving you looking like a child beauty pageant contestant with crunchy, separated curls. Flip your hair upside down and spray the underneath of your hair, scrunching the curls up to your scalp as you go. This helps the curls fall more naturally, and prevents a crusty layer of spray from latching its way onto your masterpiece.

Read this original blog post at Hairfullofsecrets.com!

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.