5 Alternative Ways to Get Kylie Jenner Lips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.
Specific lip products from Sephora and the drugstore aim to give you those trending, plumped, reality-star lips. Ms. Jenner started rocking her iconic, full lips in 2014 which has sparked a trend amongst women and girls all across the world. With Kylie’s hot-selling lip kits and those continuous YouTube tutorials aimed to achieve her look, it’s clear that this trend isn’t going away anytime soon. So you might as well enjoy it while it lasts and play around with some more creative ways to give your lips this adorable, pouty look.

1. Peppermint Oil 

By applying a small amount of peppermint oil to your lips and wiping off the excess, you will be stimulating the blood flow underneath your lips. In just a few minutes, you will notice a pouty effect. Plus, the minty coolness freshens your breath! Add a little lip balm once the oil has dried for extra moisture.

2. Collagen Plumping Lip Masks 

We all know the benefits of facial masks, but who would have ever thought that there would one day be masks for your lips. Well, that day has arrived! These masks are by a brand called Satin Smooth and they are made to give the appearance of full lips. They have other benefits as well including moisturizing, firming, and tightening lips. 

3. Just Kick It Mrs. Potato Head Style 

Who needs to spend close to $100 on Ebay for one of Kylie’s lip kits, when you could go to your local candy shop and buy one of these with pocket change? You might not be able to talk, eat, or walk down the street without any double takes, but your mission of full, plumped lips is accomplished! Besides, nothing beats that classic, fire-engine red color!

4. Ci​nnamon

Not your typical cinnamon challenge; instead of trying to see if this common kitchen spice will make you puke or choke, why not see what it can do for your lips? To use cinnamon for plump lips, mix it with Vaseline or Aquaphor in a small container and scrub your lips with the mix using a toothbrush. By doing this, you are scrubbing away dead skin cells as well as promoting blood flow to your lips which will swell them up. 

5. Lip Suction Cups 

Speaking of hazardous Internet challenges, who could forget the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge? Remember when boys and girls suctioned their lips into a shot glass until they could no longer take the pain? I’m not proud to admit that I partook in such an idiotic activity and, like many other victims of this challenge, I was left with a bruise ring around my lips and a lecture from my mother. Now there are specific suction cups made to do the same job, but safely and bruise-free! The brand that makes these cups is called “Fullips”. You can purchase them on their website as Amazon. For best results, apply lip liner and a long-lasting lip color over your freshly pumped lips.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.