11 of the Most Influential Women of the 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Princess Diana- what do all of these women have in common? These three women are only a few among the many women that have heavily influenced history and society. March was officially dubbed Women’s History Month in 1987 and since then, the world has taken this month to honor and reflect upon all of the accomplishments that women have made in history. Realistically, a woman’s accomplishments weren’t recognized until the late 19th century. Despite this short time span between then and now, the world has definitely seen an impressive group of women who have inspired us all. Here’s a list of eleven of the most influential women of today’s day and age.

**This list was not composed in any particular order.**

1. Emma Watson

One among many women who have taken a stand against gender inequality. 

2. Amy Schumer

Not only is she hilarious, but she’s also one of the most famous women, as of recently, who has come to express her opinion concerning a women’s body image. 

3. Malala Yousafzai

As a result of her 2012 attack, Malala has since recovered and has come to be one of the biggest advocates for girls’ education and women’s rights. 

4. Michelle Obama

Not only is she known as America’s first African-American First Lady, she’s also known for her campaign against childhood obesity and her efforts towards fighting HIV and AIDS, among other things.

5. Caitlyn Jenner

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory, but if you need a reminder, think about the transgender community.

6. Lady Gaga

Although she’s not the only woman who is currently working towards creating awareness about this subject, Lady Gaga’s efforts against sexual assault are among the most notable.

7. Ellen DeGeneres

DeGeneres is not only funny and extremely generous, she also is the epitome of a strong, independent woman.

8. Hillary Clinton

Although some may not agree, Clinton is seen by many as one of the most successful female politicians in history.

9. Oprah Winfrey

Winfrey has seemed to have done it all! Her active participation in movements concerning civil rights, her efforts towards helping children affected by poverty and AIDS, and actions towards improving education places shows that Oprah is one of the most influential women ever

10. Angelina Jolie

What organization and cause does this woman not support?

And…

11. You

Everyone is capable of enacting change. The influential power of change in which our current generation holds is unlimited. We are the future and therefore are in control of what we want the future to look like. Issues concerning gender and race inequality, discrimination, and terrorism are some of the current problems that are still affecting our world today and it’s time for us to finally bring an end to it all. Don’t underestimate yourself at all and remember, as Amelia Earhart once said, “the most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.”

Happy Women’s History Month to all of the women out there. 

Lee is an International Affairs major and Professional Writing minor at the University of Maine. Aside from her involvement with Her Campus, Lee also plays on the Women's Club Lacrosse team and is a mentor in the Black Bear Mentor program.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.