Women’s Soccer Big Ten Tournament

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

On November 5th, the University of Iowa’s women’s soccer team began their thrilling run at the Big Ten Championship hosted by Purdue University. In Wednesday’s quarterfinal match, Iowa faced Rutgers University, who was the 4th seed of the tournament. They won in an exciting 1-0 match, and were headed to the semifinals. On Friday, November 7th, Iowa faced Northwestern University, the 8th seed who upset Penn State in their quarterfinal match, the 1st seed, in a 1-0 thriller. After a close, tiring game, the Hawkeyes pulled off a 1-0 victory against the Wildcats and were heading to the Big Ten Championship for the second consecutive year.

The 5th seeded Hawkeyes faced the 2nd seeded Wisconsin Badgers on Sunday, November 9th. For the second straight year, it was quite a Cinderella story for the Hawkeyes. Everybody had written the team off, but they kept pushing through and persevering. With six season-ending injuries, the team battled through more adversity, struggle and hardship than any other team this year in the Big Ten Conference. The championship game went into double overtime still scoreless, until the Wisconsin Badgers curled in a corner kick with 6 minutes to go. The Hawkeyes were crushed, realizing that for the second time in a row they had lost in the Big Ten Championship. 

Although the results were not what they wanted, the UI’s soccer team left everything they had on the field on that Sunday. The team now waits to see if their inspiring run was enough for them to qualify for the NCAA Tournament that begins on November 14. The team thanks all the parents, friends, family, administration and support they received from Hawkeye family that was at the game, watching at home or thinking of the team last week. 

No matter the outcome, the University of Iowa’s women’s soccer team remains #HawkeyeStrong.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.