Why it’s good to be single during the holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I love the holidays, sparkly lights, snow on the ground, and endless amounts of carbs. For some, the holidays can be an upsetting reminder of their single relationship status. And how could they not? With three “romantic” holidays right in a row how can they not be reminded of being single with mistletoe, midnight kisses and cupid slapping them in the face? But, being single during the holidays doesn’t need to be bad thing. In fact, I’d say that being a single lady during the holidays is the best way to be.

Here are some reasons why:

1. You don’t have to go through the stress of finding the “perfect” gift for someone. Holidays are stressful enough, and adding the pressure of finding something special for your significant other can take some of the enjoyment out of the holidays. When you’re single, you don’t have to deal with that pressure, and you have some extra money in your pocket.

2. You can avoid the awkward in-law dinners. Meeting your significant other’s family isn’t always the best time. Being single means that you don’t have to deal with the uncomfortable encounters and awkward questions that are guaranteed at an in-law event.

3. You can kiss whomever you want. Whether it’s under the mistletoe or at midnight, your lips are free to roam.

4. You don’t have to balance your time. You can catch up with the friends and family that you haven’t seen in awhile.

5. You can eat whatever you want and wear whatever you want. Who do you have to impress?

6. You don’t have to go anywhere. If you want, you can stay at home, lie in bed and watch the Grinch over and over again.

7. You can get yourself the perfect holiday gift. No one knows you better than you, treat yourself to something that you’ve always wanted.

8. Always remember that you don’t need to be in a relationship to have fun and be happy.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.