What Taylor Swift’s 1989 Album Teaches Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Whether you’re going through an ugly breakup, fighting with a friend or having a really bad day, T-Swift has a song to make the situation all better. Countless problems with valid solutions were present in albums one, two, three, four, and now five. The songs in the album 1989 have messages that testify the strenuous (but capable) road to self discovery, happiness and freedom after losing who you are over a broken heart.

These messages tell us….

That starting over can make you feel fresh, electric, and self sufficient. It makes you feel like arriving to a social setting like… 

That, with a broken heart, it’s important to fill the “Blank Space” of your life with the story of the new you.

And that your unique “Style” shouldn’t change for anyone ever again.

To keep your next relationship “Out Of The Woods”to not live with anxiety, wondering if you’re in the clear like…

But commit to those you love, and let go of those who aren’t committed to you. If “All They Had To Do was Stay,” then they’re..

To realize that the haters are always gonna hate so “Shake It Off,” shake it off,  ahh ahh, and start dancing to a beat to make you forget those who hurt you.

That it’s alright that you made a mistake, and that you probably want to say, “I Wish You Would have treated me differently.” But learn from those mistakes and know when to say goodbye.

To keep good and helpful friends close, and know when to dismiss the “Bad Blood.”

To realize that your “Wildest Dreams” might seem ideal but that a realistic relationship can be just as perfect if you are willing to fight for it.

To let yourself define what love is. You never know, “This Love” will have funny way of finding you. 

And lastly, to “Clean” your mind and find yourself. Because a bad past can leave you lost like…

Studying journalism and political science at the University of Iowa. Interested in magazine reporting and writing, health and fitness, blogging, and photography.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.