This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Feminism has become an extremely important movement in the world that we live in today, but many people still aren’t 100% positive as to what it means to be a feminist. 

We are not rioting and picketing the homes of men. We are not degrading women who choose to stay at home. We are not hating against the act of shaving our legs. We are simply standing together against the instilled social conception that women are supposed to look a certain way, act a certain way, and succumb to the patriarchal oppression. We support women from all walks of life, income, race, femininity, and sexual orientation to have the right to choose whoever the hell they want to be and to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Women are strong. Women are powerful. Feminists recognize and embrace this, as well as practice the following as much as possible in their everyday lives:

1. Support ALL Women

Be there for one another! Encourage each other’s dreams and celebrate your victories. Behind every successful woman should be a tribe of other successful women cheering her on.

2. Speak Out Against Sexism

It doesn’t have to be blatant and obscene, for sexism is rooted in our everyday culture. When your teacher asks for “five strong men” to help her carry something in, that is sexism. We need to address this and demand change so that the next wave of women do not have to be chained by society.

3. Refuse To Pass Judgment

Feminism can’t stand if we constantly tear down one another. Women can wear whatever they want, explore their sexuality however they deem fit, and live their lives according to them. No one ever made their flame brighter by blowing out those of others.

4. Recognize Your Own Power

Be confident in all that makes you passionate, unique, and strong. Take ownership of who you are! Empowered women empower women.

5. Stand Up For Equality

We don’t wish to be better than men, we just want to be seen for who we are . . . and not for our gender identity. In fact, we support men and their fight against toxic masculinity. If we don’t take a stand to change the “norm” that men should be emotionless and macho, then we are cultivating yet another generation that will harm the work of feminism.

Remember, ladies . . . feminism is not a dirty word. It is a movement—hell, a lifestyle—that encourages women and men alike to recognize that there is no limit as to what a woman can be, nor where her talents can take her in this world. Girl power!

Photos: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Happy reading!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.