What I Didn’t Expect My Freshmen Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As someone who is about to finish her first year of college (I just had to pause for a moment there to comprehend that thought), I feel like I’ve learned a lot about how colleges actually run. There are lots of differences from how colleges are shown in movies and TV shows, and even in the news, but there are also some things I really didn’t expect this year.

1.      LOTS of free time

Okay, so I might have been warned about this, and I thought I was prepared, but I didn’t expect to have as much time as I do. After a year, I’ve learned how to fit homework, studying, working out, relaxing, spending time with friends and working around my class schedule, but my first semester, at least for the first few months, was a disaster. I worked too many hours (as well as two very demanding jobs), and, when I did have some down time, I didn’t spend it how I should have. I just lay in bed or watched Netflix. Of course, there’s always time for Netflix and naps, but only after finishing everything that needs to be done.

Everybody is different though, and everybody’s schedules are different, too. Maybe you’re used to having a lot of free time, or maybe you’re not used to it at all because of a heavy course load during high school. Either way, this will take some time to adjust to, just like a lot of other new experiences that come with starting college.

2.      It goes by fast

If you thought high school went by fast, you have no idea how quickly your first year of college will fly by. I still feel like I should just be graduating from high school. The memories I’ve made this year are great, but I’ve learned to slow down, step back and realize this could be one of those moments I’ll look back on in 20 years.

This is definitely another cliché you’ve heard over and over again, and you’re probably rolling your eyes at your computer screen right now. But it’s true. Here’s another cliché for you: time flies when you’re having fun.

3.      Classes are (and should be) a priority

Of course, this should be a no-brainer. But there are lots of things to do while you’re in college, and it can be very overwhelming in the beginning. I know too many people who didn’t make their classes a top priority—and they’re regretting it now. There are lots of ways to stay on top of your studies: you can find a place to study that isn’t your dorm room (I like the lounges on my floor), you can get a tutor, you can join or make a study group or you can make yourself a schedule for doing homework (I’m guilty of this one). The possibilities are practically endless, because everyone on campus wants you to excel.

4.      You don’t have to go out every weekend

Okay, so I might be a total homebody, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Even if you love going out, it’s still nice to have a night to yourself, and whether you spend it catching up on homework or pampering yourself is up to you. It’s good to take a break sometimes (even if it’s a break from taking a break), especially with the stress that comes with college. You don’t even have to do it alone. Have a girls’ night in with your besties: re-watch Gossip Girl or another of your favorite shows, and chow down on popcorn.

5.      College isn’t all about partying and having a good time

Naturally, there will be some irresponsible behavior in college. It comes from this newfound sense of independence, and it’s kind of expected from college students. And they do like to have fun. But when midterms and finals roll around, you can bet the library is going to be more packed than the bars.

6.      You can make gen. eds. interesting

Unfortunately, everybody has to take them. But general education classes offer you the chance to broaden your horizons, or learn more about something that already interests you. They’re supposed to help you have an understanding of the world around you other than the one offered through your major. So take those random classes (that are required of you, of course). Learn about Greek mythology or plants or the history of women in music. General education classes are as specific or as broad as you want a topic to be.

7.      Your roommate is an important asset

You might not be best friends with your roomie, but nobody expects that to happen with every group of roommates. I was fortunate enough to have a fantastic roommate that I get along really well with, and, trust me, I’m thankful for that every day. However, there are plenty of problems that roommates can have, both big and small (believe me, I’ve seen them all on my floor). But you can still have those problems with your close friends, so what makes it different for your roommate? Your roomie is someone who is always there for you; you can talk to them about anything, from your lame day to your crazy professors. They may not understand it all, but it’s good to get everything off your chest.

8.      You’ll start to appreciate your family more

Honestly, my mom and I didn’t always get along when we were both under the same roof. We fought about everything. And I mean literally everything. The same goes with my siblings: I was constantly annoyed by them, and never wanted to be around them. Now that I’m three hours away, I find myself texting them more often about seemingly stupid things I notice throughout my day. My mom and I text at least once a day, and we talk on the phone every week. Our original plan was to only talk on Sunday nights, but now it’s more like two or three times during the week.

It’s easy to see how I never wanted to be around them when we were constantly stuck together in our house (here’s a little side note, I live in a house with eight other people, so alone time is hard to come by). We were always breathing down each other’s necks. But now that we’re apart and I only really see them for breaks and certain holidays, I can honestly say I miss being around them. The time I do get to spend with them, now that I’m (kind of) on my own and “adulating” all over the place, is really precious to me.

Photo from jamesaltucher.com.

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.