UIowa Rides the Yak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Yik Yak is the newest app that has taken the University of Iowa by storm. It is an app that serves as a gossip platform and is very similar to twitter. The newsfeed only displays messages sent within a one mile radius. But the biggest difference is that all of the posts are anonymous, which leaves college kids believing their privacy is protected. So, without second thought, students post whatever uncensored or obscene comments they want and scroll through the live feed to read what others have posted. 

For college students it seems like a great idea. Being able to say absolutely everything we’ve ever wanted to say but no one knowing it’s us? Sounds great, right? While you scroll through the feed you have the option to “up” or “down” a post. It’s the equivalent to liking a post on Facebook or favoriting a tweet on Twitter. The more ups you get the more encouragement you get to keep posting. It’s like someone saying “Hey, I don’t know who you are but what you said about that frat is SO true.”

The Problem

Yik Yak sounds like all fun and games. But the real problem is, it’s not. Once you get over the initial thrill of posting anonymously you’ll see how harmful this app actually is. Messages can be especially harmful since no one knows who exactly is posting them. It gives people a false sense of security and an excuse to be vicious behind their own phones. The word “bullying” sounds so juvenile, especially since we’re all college students and technically adults. But the truth is, tearing someone down just to build your own confidence is something that lasts into our twenties and beyond.  

There are definitely some funny posts on Yik Yak that we can all relate to, but what a majority of college students are failing to recognize is the hatred and cruelty that lies behind a lot of the comments. Perhaps the WORST part about this app is that we actually LIKE it. I talked to two different girls; sophomore Evan Chidley, who is a member of a sorority, and sophomore Kaitlin Lattner who does not participate in Greek life.  I wanted to see why they find Yik Yak so appealing, and if they think if it is harmful.

Why do you like Yik Yak?

Lattner: I like it because it is specific to our campus which makes reading the posts interesting since they are relevant to what is happening here at Iowa.

Chidley: I just think that some yik yaks are funny so that’s why I like it.

Do you participate in posting yaks?

Lattner: I only post yaks if I feel like I have something funny to say but when I decide not to post anything it’s because I’m afraid no one will like it and my post will get down voted.

Chidley: Sometimes I post when I think I have something funny to say! But I never post lame stuff like, “come to the party!” or “who wants to cuddle?”or “I’m so sad I need a boyfriend”.

Do you think Yik Yak is a harmful app? Do you consider it bullying or think that it encourages students to be mean?

Lattner: Overall, I don’t think it is that harmful but sometimes people do get carried away and post judgmental things about other groups of people such as frats, sororities, or international students.

Chidley: In general, I don’t think Yik Yak is harmful but I do see it having the potential to be a place for people to bully one another because it’s anonymous, which gives people the confidence to say whatever they want. Sometimes there are mean posts about Greek life, but the topic of sexual assault came up on Yik Yak recently and the vast majority of people were advocating for victims instead of making jokes. I think it can be a good way to hear our fellow student’s opinions and realize we actually are educated young people.

Would you ever consider deleting this app?

Lattner: I would consider deleting this app if the judgmental and stereotyping posts start to outnumber the funny ones because the only reason I use the app is for the humor aspect.

Chidley: I’d probably delete it if it starts to get boring or just plain useless.

After talking to both of these girls I have concluded the following:

As young adults in college we still thrive for the attention and approval of our peers. We want other people to like what we have to say even if they don’t know who we are. We often use the humiliation and pain of others to make ourselves feel better. As students, we have the power to turn this app into something positive. If we cannot bring ourselves to delete this addicting anonymous twitter, for whatever reason, we can at least advocate for something or even spread positive messages.

By no means should we expect it to turn into a hippie-tree-hugging app, but we should recognize the dangers and consequences that come along with it. As many times as our parents and teachers have told us to be careful what we post on social media, we tend to forget what they’ve said when we’re aiming to create a more appealing image for ourselves.

I warn everyone to use this app with caution! Even though Yik Yak does not require a sign-up or personal information, remember that whatever messages you post will never be 100% anonymous. Whether you decide to ignore the Yak, delete the Yak, or ride the Yak is up to you, but always remember the power of your posts.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.