UI Alumni: Detroit Lions Head Coach Jim Caldwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Jim Caldwell, an alumnus of the University of Iowa, is the current head coach of the Detroit Lions. Caldwell, though he now looks for talent in up-and-coming football players, was the starting definsive back for the Hawkeyes from 1973 to 1976. Through hard work and immense talent, Caldwell is the leader of a talented group of professional athletes. Her Campus UI was fortunate enough to interview Mr. Caldwell.

When did you first become interested in football?

I first became interested in football as a young child watching my favorite team, the Chicago Bears. I was a big fan of Gayle Sayers who was soft spoken and introspective off the field but a physical, fast and multidimensional on the field. He could run, throw, catch and return kicks. He was the NFL Rookie of the Year in 1965. I couldn’t wait until I was old enough to play Pop Warner football at the age of 10.

When you went to the University Iowa, did you ever see yourself becoming the head coach of a professional football team?

No, not at the onset. I enjoyed  playing the game and trying to measure up to all the physical, mental and intellectual challenges it presented. But I thought that I would end up teaching school. While at the University of Iowa I played for two head coaches that I admired greatly, Frank Lauterbur during my freshmen year and Bob Commings my sophomore through my senior year. I was impressed with the impact they had in all phases on the lives of the young men on our team. I felt the attraction to the profession truly when I observed the way Coach Commings infused a winning attitude throughout a program that had been very average before his arrival. We were highly competitive and won more games during the early part of his tenure.  After I finished playing I worked as a graduate assistant with the football team and realized that I had a knack for coaching and that I also wanted to be involved in an endeavor where I could make a difference in the lives of young people, hone my leadership skills, satisfy my intellectual curiosity and live somewhat vicariously through the men that I coached.

What is your favorite memory from college?

I would have to note three categories: 1 as a student, 2 as an assistant coach, and 3 as a head coach in college.

1. My favorite memory as a student at the University of Iowa was the great victory that we had over Penn State in 1976. We were underdogs playing on the road against one of the nation’s perennial powerhouse programs. I was a co-captain on that team and we won by the narrowest of margins 7-6 yet it was a memorable win that created a lot of excitement on campus, in the city and the state.

2. My favorite moment as an assistant coach in college was winning the National Championship while at Penn State University in 1986. We were undefeated and had an opportunity to play at great University of Miami team in the Fiesta Bowl. The atmosphere was electric and it was one of the most highly anticipated games in college football history.

3. My most memorable moment as a college head coach at Wake Forest University was taking our team to the Aloha Bowl and winning against a good Arizona State team. It was also pretty special that I had a chance to coach my son who was a wide receiver on that team and caught a touchdown pass to spark a convincing victory.

What is the best part about your career?

Probably the journey. I had a chance to learn from a lot of great leaders of men along the way. I spoke of the two head coaches that had a tremendous impact on my life as a player. But the head coaches I worked under were extraordinary, Rey Dempsey ( Southern Illinois), Dennis Green (Northwestern University), Bill McCartney (University of Colorado), Howard Schnellenberger (University of Louisville), Joe Paterno ( Penn State University), Tony Dungy ( Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts), John Harbaugh ( Baltimore Ravens). They provided great direction, created an environment conducive to winning and allowed me to have ample autonomy to grow and perfect my craft.

What would you consider your greatest accomplishment in coaching thus far?

I have had a chance to coach in three Super Bowls. We won 2 and lost 1, but the relationships that I have established with the countless players and coaches throughout my journey ranks fairly high as well.

Do you have anything you would like to say to students currently enrolled in the University who have an interest in football?
I would urge you to become C.H.A.M.P.S
                Competent- perfect your craft
                Humility- It draws people in it doesn’t repel. Hubris does.
                Authenticity- Be yourself! Create your own brand
                Motivate- You must work on your leadership skills. Old adage, “Lead by example when all else fails use words”
                Passion- You must get excited about what you do. “Lack no zeal in your work”
                Service- Coaching is a service business. Serve the men and women you are leading and they will play hard for you. Also, commit to being part of the fabric of community service wherever you reside.

As we reflect on the advice Mr. Caldwell has given those interested in football, it may be wise to note that this advice can serve us all. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.